how flexible is grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yatzek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, im getting a pharmD in 2008 and am considering grad school. I am wondering if I would be able to work during grad school? (part time in walgreens or something) -I have no clue what happens in grad school yet...

Members don't see this ad.

At my school you are not allowed to hold a job outside of school. This is a requirement in order to receive that very small stipend. I would assume that it would depend on where you are going to school. Just email whoever is in charge of the program you are interested in and ask.

thx for the reply, im kind of scared of asking because it may be an indication of low commitment to the program

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school you are not allowed to hold a job outside of school. This is a requirement in order to receive that very small stipend. I would assume that it would depend on where you are going to school. Just email whoever is in charge of the program you are interested in and ask.

I think this is more or less universal for those students receiving a full stipend. At least this is the 'rule' for my graduate department. HOWEVER, I have been working PT as an OR tech for the last two years mystically while in grad school (chemical engineering). I have had no problems with this, except for the waking up at 5:15 part, but the extra money is nice. I just don't schedule any meetings before 11 AM. And, I understand this means that I am here till midnight most nights. But it can be done. Whether or not this means it should be done, its up to you and the IRS. Good luck

yatzek said:
hi, im getting a pharmD in 2008 and am considering grad school. I am wondering if I would be able to work during grad school? (part time in walgreens or something) -I have no clue what happens in grad school yet...

Im in an MSc program in mol. bio. We take between 9-12 credits a semester, along with teaching responsabilities (i teach 3 lab classes). The program is a full scholarship program including a 2000 stipend a semesterso actually im making 2000 a semester since they pay for books, classes, lab fees etc. Between the classes i teach and my own classes im on a 9-5 sch. Most labs i teach are in the AM and afternoon and my own classes are at night, so it does not leave much time for other work. However it is not looked down upon or discouraged by our department, and is based on what you can handle. I think it depends on what you want to do with the degree after you get it......i will be applying to med school so i want to keep my grades real high so i put my extra time into my studies

The purpose of grad school is to finish grad school. An outside job will only prolong the pain of grad school, and your PI will not be very understanding in regards to why you are at your "job" and not in the lab. chained to your bench producing data that can be published.

The bottom line about grad school in my expereince is as follows; only go if you really want to. It is best to have a pretty good idea about what you want to study and better yet if you know with whom you want to study before you even apply. That was advice given to me in undergrad and I really wish I had followed it.

doesnt sound like i'll be doing that. what about working for a few years (out of school) maybe doing research on the side and then applying? sorry for changing the subject...

Don't know enough about your situation to properly advise.

Helpful information would be:

reasons for wanting to go to graduate school (not the reasons you'll be telling interviewers)
other commitments (kids/wife)
financial situation (do you already have a decent job that is ok with you moonlighting with research?)

My gutshot reflex is to advise you to choose the path that advances your career the most rapidly. In other words, I'd advise against doing research "on the side." But that is my value system talking, not yours. Taking it slow may be the right choice for you. The research track is long though, and as a result, it strongly favors the person who does not hesitate and plots a straight course.

Why not consider transferring to your school's PharmD/PhD program?

1Path said:
Why not consider transferring to your school's PharmD/PhD program?

I dont think my school has that program, they offer pharmD - MBA/MPA or JD but not phD, no grad school here...

basically, I enjoy studying and research- I would love to end up as a professor...but wouldn't mind making some money with the pharmD... I have no kids or wife or any commitments really... I am 25 and from australia.