How GME Funding works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am attempting to change residencies after a non renewal in my current specialty. My program would have been 4 years long and I will have done 3 out of 4 years come this June.

Does this mean I've only got 1 year's worth of GME funding left for the other residency? My understanding is that Medicare only pays for a single residency.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I am attempting to change residencies after a non renewal in my current specialty. My program would have been 4 years long and I will have done 3 out of 4 years come this June.

Does this mean I've only got 1 year's worth of GME funding left for the other residency? My understanding is that Medicare only pays for a single residency.

Thanks!

I've seen your situation across multiple threads OP. I think you're overthinking it. Don't worry about funding because it's out of your control at this point. To specifically answer your question, medicare funds ACGME residencies in two ways. Direct Medical Education (which is a less expense that goes to salary, etc.). Then there's an Indirect Medical Education (which is a greater expense) that is full covered. Medicare will fund Indirect Medical Education 100% and Direct Medical Education at 50% leaving you somewhere above 75% funding for the years you will not be funded. With 3/4 years of your prior residency completed and going into a 2 year residency I would presume only one of years will be with less funding. Unless I am very mistaken, this should be completely fine.

Regardless OP, I am very sure you will have success in your occupational medicine applications. Disregard the funding issue. If they invite you for an interview, they should be supportive and don't worry about answering questions about it. If asked, mention you are aware of the funding streams and that there would be partial funding for training for a year.

Also, you have completed 1 year of IM and 2 of Neurology at this point. It may be worth asking if you could start at the PGY-2 level.

Last edited:
I've seen your situation across multiple threads OP. I think you're overthinking it. Don't worry about funding because it's out of your control at this point. To specifically answer your question, medicare funds ACGME residencies in two ways. Direct Medical Education (which is a less expense that goes to salary, etc.). Then there's an Indirect Medical Education (which is a greater expense) that is full covered. Medicare will fund Indirect Medical Education 100% and Direct Medical Education at 50% leaving you somewhere above 75% funding for the years you will not be funded. With 3/4 years of your prior residency completed and going into a 2 year residency I would presume only one of years will be with less funding. Unless I am very mistaken, this should be completely fine.

Regardless OP, I am very sure you will have success in your occupational medicine applications. Disregard the funding issue. If they invite you for an interview, they should be supportive and don't worry about answering questions about it. If asked, mention you are aware of the funding streams and that there would be partial funding for training for a year.

Also, you have completed 1 year of IM and 2 of Neurology at this point. It may be worth asking if you could start at the PGY-2 level.
Thanks for your response. I was told by one program that they are funded "50% through ACGME and 50% through NIOSH." Presumably, I suppose I could use my final year's ACGME funding across the 2 years of Occ Med.