How go get good eval?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by confuse, Dec 11, 2008.

1. confuse

confuse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello,
    I'm a MSII. My school has a mentorship program in which we get to shadow a physician throughout the year. Most of my classmates got paired up with primary care physician while I got paired up with a very experienced ICU physician. As a lowly M2, I know very little and feel really inadequate walking around the ICU but my mentor loves to pimp me anyway. My recent eval shows average score all across the board with 1 below average mark. Even though it doesn't really affect my grades or anything but I'm worried that I may get poor eval on rotations next year too. So besides building up my knowledge base, what are some the things I could do to get a better eval? I feel very incompetent right now. :( Thanks guys.

2. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you mean how TO get a good eval?

3. confuse

confuse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, typo. I can't seem to edit the title of thread.

4. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

i think the best thing you can do is go directly to the source - ask him/her what you need to improve. we can't see what you're doing (or not doing), unless you post a video up of one of your rounds. lol

5. BlackBantie

BlackBantie The Black Bantam
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with that.

My school also has a mandatory preceptorship program. While I haven't received any formal evaluation on paper, I've noticed that my preceptor seems to be a lot happier with me when I'm asking her questions about her patients. I guess my advice to you is to appear interested and enthusiastic and one good way of doing that is asking questions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...