How hard is a FM residency in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Born in raised in NY. But moved to FL for medical school (DO school). Decent board scores.
USMLE Step 1: 222-224
COMLEX 1: 525-530

MY sister lives in Texas, and I have always wanted to move there, so I really would like to do residency there. I have always been passionate about FM. Im top 1/3 in class. All my 3rd year clerkships have been A's w/ good evaluations. I really would love to live anywhere near Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Houston.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it's more program-dependent than state-dependent.

All you can do is try but Texas does love Texas. There are tons of treat FM programs outside of the major cities. The number of FM residencies alone in the state will be in your favor

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking at Texas, look into JPS in Fort Worth, Waco FM, and the program in Tyler, TX. All three are supposed to be pretty good, although if location is your biggest concern, JPS is pretty close to Dallas and you might like Ft. Worth by itself. Waco is about 1.5-2 hours from DFW. Up to you.

If you're looking at Texas, look into JPS in Fort Worth, Waco FM, and the program in Tyler, TX. All three are supposed to be pretty good, although if location is your biggest concern, JPS is pretty close to Dallas and you might like Ft. Worth by itself. Waco is about 1.5-2 hours from DFW. Up to you.

I heard JPS is really good, but I wonder if my scores are good enough to land me a spot in texas in general, bc I know texas is competitive

I matched TX FM this year, I am from a neighboring state.

Steps about national average, pass all first attempt. A few honors, few passes. Right in the middle of my class. No real TX ties. Once you get the interview, show interest, mention your sister, and let them know this is a place you want to be. Best of luck, private message if you want any specific details.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to residency in Corpus Christi, was taught well. No regrets. Near the beach. Smaller residencies you tend to get to do more hands on procedures since you are not fighting other residency programs in the same facility. Beware of the program in Midland, TX. Almost all foreign grads. Bunch of laziest hateful group of residents I ever had to deal with in the ER.