How hard is anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bandn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 2nd year medical student asked me at my school how hard anesthesiology was, and I found that while I have had some experience in the field, I could not give him a good answer. It seems that with CRNAs doing it and the like that it is not the hardest field to go into. Sill, everyone is always too quick to point out how bad things can go in a second. What is everybody's opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Anesthesia
geico-cavemen.jpg

So Easy A Caveman Can Do It!
(Until Things Go Horribly, Horribly Wrong)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lot of time on your hands, Bruin? :cool:

Dude, this right now is the life. I wake up every day at 11:30, maybe go hit some golf balls, maybe go on a little hike, maybe go have some brews with people. Life in limbo between 4th year and intern year is good.

See you at graduation, man. Just don't spend too much time at Harrah's...

A 2nd year medical student asked me at my school how hard anesthesiology was, and I found that while I have had some experience in the field, I could not give him a good answer. It seems that with CRNAs doing it and the like that it is not the hardest field to go into. Sill, everyone is always too quick to point out how bad things can go in a second. What is everybody's opinion on this?

Brandn,

You are right. CRNA's do provide anesthesia as well. I sometimes joke (like the caveman post, LOL) "Anesthesia is so easy a nurse can do it". Anesthesia really isnt that difficult when you are good at it :) . However, anesthesiologists are physicians. There are things beyond anesthesia that you would be capable of doing such as critical care medicine.

CRNA's are nurses, we dont diagnose or treat patients (unless its related to our anesthetic). We just do anesthesia (and no...we are not just technicians). It would be innapropriate for me to see a patient and diagnose chronic back pain (for whatever reason) and inject an epidural steroid. Now, if a physician saw the patient and diagnosed the chronic back pain and consulted me to do the epidural injection.....then its OK.

Brandn,

You are right. CRNA's do provide anesthesia as well. I sometimes joke (like the caveman post, LOL) "Anesthesia is so easy a nurse can do it". Anesthesia really isnt that difficult when you are good at it :) . However, anesthesiologists are physicians. There are things beyond anesthesia that you would be capable of doing such as critical care medicine.

CRNA's are nurses, we dont diagnose or treat patients (unless its related to our anesthetic). We just do anesthesia (and no...we are not just technicians). It would be innapropriate for me to see a patient and diagnose chronic back pain (for whatever reason) and inject an epidural steroid. Now, if a physician saw the patient and diagnosed the chronic back pain and consulted me to do the epidural injection.....then its OK.

:rolleyes:

I still get a good laugh when I think about his "you can't have 'two captains' steering the ship' statement. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess what I am really asking is not about the lifestyle or who is qualified. I am asking how hard the field is in the knowledge and procedures?

I guess what I am really asking is not about the lifestyle or who is qualified. I am asking how hard the field is in the knowledge and procedures?

It is difficult to answer that question without knowing your background. It all depends on your experience, strengths and weeknesses. You are going to have to make that decision for yourself. Spend a day in the OR and experience what anesthesia is all about. Ask tons of questions. Then ask yourself if you can see yourself in that position. Sure it is difficult...but certainly not impossible.