How hard is it to get a job as an EMT once you get certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornell2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do they want experience, i.e. join volunteer fire department, or will they take people once they get certified?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure they want a significant amount of volunteer experience with the fire dept...it varies from region to region but around where I live, I think its like 1 or 2 years volunteering before you're hired.

Around my area you can get a job with several private companies. Also you can get a job as a ER tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you looking to find a job? Most places would like some experience, but it is certainly not required. Different regions vary a great deal on how they provide EMS - some through paid fire, some volunteer fire, some paid EMS, some volunteer EMS, or any combination of the above. Find out where classes are held and talk to the people there. They can give you a good idea of the type of work availabe in your area.

If you have more questions about the whole process, try posting in the EMS forum here on SDN. Lots of experienced EMS peeps from different areas of the country in there.

cornell2004 said:
do they want experience, i.e. join volunteer fire department, or will they take people once they get certified?

check out the correct forum................

kinda mentioned already, but many private companies will hire you right away (that's what i'm doing). also, they will often help pay your tuition if you agree to work for x number of years. otherwise, you can usually get volunteer positions at the fire station right away but don't expect to get paid at the fire station without significant experience and promising to work there for a while. just what i've found from EMT job-searching in wisconsin.

I'm having trouble getting in as an EMT in Milwaukee - one of the privates all but guaranteed me a job, and now they don't call back.

Often private companies will hire you as a part-time employee, but not as a full-time one. You will probably end up working full time hours if you want that many, but you are officially part-time. They are not supposed to do that but it happens all the time around here. Cheaper for the compnay - no benefits, etc.

It depends where you live. In NYC, the fire department requires some experience before taking you on. The private companies will but not usually let you run 911 calls until you have done transport for nursing homes etc. You can get a position volunteering to do 911 calls. Also, some hospitals hire EMTs as well and the part-time/full-time depends on the hospital. I know some hospitals allow shift work (where you call up and see if they need anyone on a particular day).

Here in Union county NJ a recruiter came to our EMT class and was recruiting newly minted EMTs. They hired for transport (which is plenty of responsibility for a newbie). Paid transport &/or volunteer 911 experience could get you full time 911 work in 6-12 months.
Any EMT gig is great experience and often doable from a practical standpoint.