how hard is it to get a MD derm as D.O.? and are D.O.derm res. as good or near ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigger0821

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im a D.O. in california, i know D.O. has there own derm res. but they are not recognized by the american association of dermatoligsts due to beuracracy - quoted from a very respected MD derm in chicago...so what are the diff. in DO MD derm programs, obviosly theres no OMM...so do i need to worry about trying to get into MD derm or is DO derm fine. and yes i know derm is super super competitive becuz its such a cool field and non stress, great money etc.
but heads up guys, i talked to this derm from chicago who helps out in hospitals all around the city in rare derm cases. shes very high up there, and she says grades is not only what they are lookn for. they know your all smart, theres plenty of you out there- so dont get an ego, there are plenty of other factors, im guessing research is big one, she also said many derms come from other practices, and dont go in directly becuz so filled up.,
but anyway best of luck to you, we need more derms, but they limit the residencies,. take care
DO + MD = 1 team :)

Members don't see this ad.

tigger0821 said:
hi im a D.O. in california, i know D.O. has there own derm res. but they are not recognized by the american association of dermatoligsts due to beuracracy - quoted from a very respected MD derm in chicago...so what are the diff. in DO MD derm programs, obviosly theres no OMM...so do i need to worry about trying to get into MD derm or is DO derm fine. and yes i know derm is super super competitive becuz its such a cool field and non stress, great money etc.
but heads up guys, i talked to this derm from chicago who helps out in hospitals all around the city in rare derm cases. shes very high up there, and she says grades is not only what they are lookn for. they know your all smart, theres plenty of you out there- so dont get an ego, there are plenty of other factors, im guessing research is big one, she also said many derms come from other practices, and dont go in directly becuz so filled up.,
but anyway best of luck to you, we need more derms, but they limit the residencies,. take care
DO + MD = 1 team :)
DO derm is fine.Its by far your best bet as only 1-2 DOs a year on average are able to match into allopathic derm.DO dermatologists have their own specialty board certification which is recognized by state boards and insurance companies without a problem.Many DOs attend the American Academy of Dermatology meetings and actively participate.They may have an affiliate status of some kind.If you can get into a DO derm program.. which are also highly competitive as well... run with it!

ny skindoc said:
DO derm is fine.Its by far your best bet as only 1-2 DOs a year on average are able to match into allopathic derm.DO dermatologists have their own specialty board certification which is recognized by state boards and insurance companies without a problem.Many DOs attend the American Academy of Dermatology meetings and actively participate.They may have an affiliate status of some kind.If you can get into a DO derm program.. which are also highly competitive as well... run with it!

awesome, thanks i feel better now. yeah i talked to the amer derm ass. ad they said i can be associatted with them and attend all meetings and have the same privileges. so thats cool, but this do md border is stupid. we both take the usmle
but whatever derm rules - god luck in your match