How hard is it to get a pain fellowship?

Started by gj smoove
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gj smoove

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How hard is it to get a pain management fellowship from PM&R?
 
gj smoove said:
How hard is it to get a pain management fellowship from PM&R?

I would think it depends on what kind of pain management fellowship at what program coming from what PM&R residency program.

I don't understand your exact question. As with any fellowship/residency with a good lifestyle and good income potential, pain management is going to be competitive. Talking to Anesthesia residents, it's competitive from their end, talking to PM&R residents, it's competitive as well. Neurology and Psychiatry are trying to get into the market, but I think most spots go to Anesthesia and PM&R. Psych (at least most I've met in pain) tends to go towards the chronic pain/narcotic dependency/psychosomatic pain type patient population. I know some neurologists specializing in neuropathic pain and headaches - but using mostly meds, some botox injections.