How hard is it to get HHMI fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondiegal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the fellowship for medical students where they will give you support for a year of research at your own medical school and you apply with a mentor's support.
I saw that they require MCAT and undergraduate transcripts. My grades fell in senior year after I was accepted (got a couple of B+s and A-s), will this have a big impact?

Also I saw that they accept applications for any year student, but do you think that it would be harder for a student to be accepted after their first year?

I couldn't find this info online so if anyone could help it would be appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's harder to get when you don't have step scores from what people have told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is usually best to do it between second/third year. With that HHMI gig you have to have a HHMI scholar at your school, which isn't always a given. They also have the one that is at the NIH. It is competitive, but surprisingly less competitive than one would expect for such a prestigious thing.

We had a girl from our school do it and she said she was a pretty mediocre student in the class. She might have been modest, but supposedly not many people applied for the positions. Many med students rather just get done with school and move on.

With that HHMI gig you have to have a HHMI scholar at your school, which isn't always a given.

thanks for your reply, do you mean that the mentor has to be an hhmi investigator? that may be a problem for me because my school is pretty small and only has one or two hhmi investigators (and I'm not very interested in their research areas). But i am in a city and there are other medical schools nearby. would it help a lot if I found a hhmi investigator as a mentor at another school, versus a regular research pi at my school?

the mediocre student bit you mentioned gives me some hope. i really want to have funding for a year of full research but my past record is not very good (worked in multiple summer reserach programs and one lab in undergrad briefly but with no publications, downward trend in GPA... etc.)

It is usually best to do it between second/third year. With that HHMI gig you have to have a HHMI scholar at your school, which isn't always a given. They also have the one that is at the NIH. It is competitive, but surprisingly less competitive than one would expect for such a prestigious thing.

We had a girl from our school do it and she said she was a pretty mediocre student in the class. She might have been modest, but supposedly not many people applied for the positions. Many med students rather just get done with school and move on.

Nationally about 1 person in 5 gets a hhmi. I think it's more common to do it between 3rd-4th years.

It's extremely competitive. Much more important than how good of a student you are is the strength of your project and the strength of your PI (funding, training record, etc). But everything is important.

I'm talking about the fellowship for medical students where they will give you support for a year of research at your own medical school and you apply with a mentor's support.
I saw that they require MCAT and undergraduate transcripts. My grades fell in senior year after I was accepted (got a couple of B+s and A-s), will this have a big impact?

Also I saw that they accept applications for any year student, but do you think that it would be harder for a student to be accepted after their first year?

I couldn't find this info online so if anyone could help it would be appreciated. thanks

For clarity, there are two separate HHMI programs:
1) NIH-Cloisters: You are jointly sponsored by HHMI and NIH. You live at HHMI and have a PI at the NIH for a year. I think there are only about 10-20 per year.

2) HHMI Med Fellows: You find your own PI at any institution (they don't have to be an HHMI investigator, though that certainly would help your chances), but you will receive funding from the HHMI to complete the work. It's actually an easy sell to PI's because they get another set of hands without having to pay anything (except lab materials, which they would likely be paying for anway). There are something like 50-60 selected every year.

The chances of getting either position are something like 1/5, but these programs (and all research year programs--Sarnoff, Doris Duke, etc.) are getting more competetive as some med schools are mandating a year of reasearch and as a 5th year has seemingly become a pre-requisite for some residencies.

I did the HHMI Med Fellows program between my 3rd and 4th year. My med school roommate did it between 2nd and 3rd. I'd say that it's a pretty even split between when people do it, but you cannot apply until after 2nd year. There are advantages to doing it both ways, so it's all personal preference.

As for how to get selected, the absolute most important thing (for the Med Fellows program) is to apply with a mentor that has a large lab, adequate funding, and a solid project. When you speak with the people at HHMI, they will tell you that they are careful to select applications that have a high chance of being meaningful. That generally means being part of a lab with a strong publication track record and significant sources of funding. If the menor is himself an HHMI investigator, they will naturally fulfill those requirements, as well as having the edge of being "known" by the selection committee.

After that, your CV is going to be important, but only to show that you are capable of being successful in a research project. They don't require a laundry list of prior publications (in fact, they actually attempt to find applicants who are not already research all stars), but they do want to see that you know your way around a lab. But again, if you don't have a strong project/mentor, your CV isn't even going to matter.

For clarity, there are two separate HHMI programs:
1) NIH-Cloisters: You are jointly sponsored by HHMI and NIH. You live at HHMI and have a PI at the NIH for a year. I think there are only about 10-20 per year.

2) HHMI Med Fellows: You find your own PI at any institution (they don't have to be an HHMI investigator, though that certainly would help your chances), but you will receive funding from the HHMI to complete the work. It's actually an easy sell to PI's because they get another set of hands without having to pay anything (except lab materials, which they would likely be paying for anway). There are something like 50-60 selected every year.

The chances of getting either position are something like 1/5, but these programs (and all research year programs--Sarnoff, Doris Duke, etc.) are getting more competetive as some med schools are mandating a year of reasearch and as a 5th year has seemingly become a pre-requisite for some residencies.

I did the HHMI Med Fellows program between my 3rd and 4th year. My med school roommate did it between 2nd and 3rd. I'd say that it's a pretty even split between when people do it, but you cannot apply until after 2nd year. There are advantages to doing it both ways, so it's all personal preference.

As for how to get selected, the absolute most important thing (for the Med Fellows program) is to apply with a mentor that has a large lab, adequate funding, and a solid project. When you speak with the people at HHMI, they will tell you that they are careful to select applications that have a high chance of being meaningful. That generally means being part of a lab with a strong publication track record and significant sources of funding. If the menor is himself an HHMI investigator, they will naturally fulfill those requirements, as well as having the edge of being "known" by the selection committee.

After that, your CV is going to be important, but only to show that you are capable of being successful in a research project. They don't require a laundry list of prior publications (in fact, they actually attempt to find applicants who are not already research all stars), but they do want to see that you know your way around a lab. But again, if you don't have a strong project/mentor, your CV isn't even going to matter.

thanks so much for your post, very very helpful.

I think it kind of depends on what time of the year you apply and who in particular looks at your application. I had applied to several programs at NIH in the past... other than the HHMI, in the regular NIH summer programs, etc, I had quite a few PIs show a ton of interest in me...some of them are super friendly, they were even instant messaging me on the weekends and helping out with the application process, we were talking about family stuff, etc! really nice, helpful and professional....but then they all just got really busy either with lab stuff, or with personal family issues at home...or maybe even lost funding and decided not to hire someone after all...then I decided to keep going with med school and my cancer research, preparing for the Step exams, so I kinda forgot about following up with them...so I never got anything.

But yeah it's possible. Keep trying hon! And follow up with your contacts. A lot of people there are quite helpful in the application process if they are impressed with your resume. Good luck! :luck: