How hard is it to switch fields once you're an attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annoyances

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of attendings doing this but not sure how hard it is to do? I heard of two internists, a pediatrician and a surgeon who did this. One lady finished internal medicine and then practiced for two years then decided to become an anesthesiologist and is currently do an anesthesia residency. Another internist practiced for 6 years then decided to become a radiologist. Same thing with a general surgeon,and a pediatrician she practiced for two years as well and decided to do a neurology residency after that. Now I am wondering how duable is that? I was considering finishing a residency and then maybe one day doing something similar. Is there a funding issue? etc? Just seriously curious about this and I don't know these people personally to ask them the intricacies of what and how they did it?

Members don't see this ad.

I knew a surgical intern who was once a PM & R attending, so its definitely doable.

I knew a surgical intern who was once a PM & R attending, so its definitely doable.

What? Why on earth would you go in that direction? He probably works more in a week now than he used to in a month (or she, for that matter).

What? Why on earth would you go in that direction? He probably works more in a week now than he used to in a month (or she, for that matter).

I was wondering the same thing.

If you think you want to do that specialty later why don't you just do it now as your first residency and save yourself 4-5 years, several hundred thousand dollars in lost income, and heavy work hours in a field you aren't even going to practice in?

According to her, she got bored. If you find surgery exciting, I guess its a tradeoff.

Good to hear. I have my reasons for finishing this particular residency before thinking of doing another just was trying to find out if anyone knew the intricacies of it.

It happens in anesthesiology somewhat commonly. In my program we have an EM, and soon an IM and a FP(New CA1s in July)

As other have noted, its not that uncommon.

I know a current Anesthesia resident who used to be a surgeon, a former surgeon who came back after 10 years in practice to do rads and an IR fellowship, an internist who came back to do a surgical specialty, and so on.

Funding issues can exist, but if programs like you they will usually find the money somewhere.

I would not recommend this pathway for someone who just can't choose; none of the people I know even considered this before or during early residency. It was something that slowly became an issue for them. Its hard to leave a practice, with its good salary, benefits, lifestyle, and go back to residency - especially if you have a mortgage, loan payments, etc. to manage on a resident's salary.

It happens in anesthesiology somewhat commonly. In my program we have an EM, and soon an IM and a FP(New CA1s in July)

Now, I wonder why we would see that more in anesthesiology - any ideas?

this happens very commonly. we have a husband and wife anesthesia team. he was an OB/GYN and she was a pediatrician. anesthesia is an easier life style is what they told me. they both made very good money, so it wasn't the money issue. it came down to interest and life style. having and managing a practice can be very grueling without a lot of rewards. dealing with personnel, supplies, billing etc can make you kind of frustrated with the whole thing. these two have a good game plan for what they ultimately want to do. i personally couldn't do it.