How hard is PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbplayr75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out that I just was accepted to PT school, I also just started working with a new DPT grad who told me that his past three years had been nothing but stress.

Is that true?

Is pt school really that hard?

any comments woulud be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
PT school is definitely intense. The material isn't that hard, there is just a lot of it. It's a process and it will definitely challenge you, but I wouldn't be that stressed about it (at least not until you have to take boards).

PT school is definitely intense. The material isn't that hard, there is just a lot of it. It's a process and it will definitely challenge you, but I wouldn't be that stressed about it (at least not until you have to take boards).

It really depends upon you background before PT school. I was an ATC before so anatomy was not as tough as for some. Same thing with physiology. The difference between PT school and undergrad. You might not be especially excited to learn about the Russian Revolution so studying may not be as much fun. When you get into your professional program, one would think that you would be excited to learn the stuff, thus making the difficult fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends upon you background before PT school. I was an ATC before so anatomy was not as tough as for some. Same thing with physiology. The difference between PT school and undergrad. You might not be especially excited to learn about the Russian Revolution so studying may not be as much fun. When you get into your professional program, one would think that you would be excited to learn the stuff, thus making the difficult fun.

That's great and all, but having an ATC background doesn't mean that PT school isn't difficult or stressful, which is what the OP asked. I wasn't an ATC before school, and not to toot my own horn, I still did extremely well in anatomy and PT school. Also, I am glad to finally be in medical school, but I still am extremely stressed out at times and not enthused about certain subjects (cough, histo). I guess I'm responding because I don't understand why you're trying to educate me on how having a background or passion for a certain area is advantageous, when the OP only asked if PT school is as stressful as the other PT said it was.

It was intense, but I didn't find it stressful. If you have a cutthroat attitude you'll likely do well but be overstressed. You can make it stressful if you want, but study consistenly and you will find yourself enjoying the process very much. I had a masters in exercise physiology going into PT school and that definitely made the process easier as well.

I'm a pretty easy going person but some of my classmates really freaked me out with how overly intense they were. I guess you could have called them gunners. Funny thing is, a friend of mine and myself always seemed to do at least as well (and oftentimes better) than the gunners.

Study hard and have fun. Try not to take yourself too seriously.

That's great and all, but having an ATC background doesn't mean that PT school isn't difficult or stressful, which is what the OP asked. I wasn't an ATC before school, and not to toot my own horn, I still did extremely well in anatomy and PT school. Also, I am glad to finally be in medical school, but I still am extremely stressed out at times and not enthused about certain subjects (cough, histo). I guess I'm responding because I don't understand why you're trying to educate me on how having a background or passion for a certain area is advantageous, when the OP only asked if PT school is as stressful as the other PT said it was.

Chill out buckeye. I was just trying to say that even if the material is difficult, it is enjoyable because the student is finally studying what they are interested in. I am not saying that it is not stressful, I am just saying that difficult classes that you enjoy, are much easier than difficult classes that you do not enjoy.

i agree with truthseeker. unlike during your pre-reqs, you're actually learning stuff you will use in the future, things that will apply to your career and your life after college.. not boring chemistry and physics which are a drag to learn knowing it's POINTLESS. unless you go on to pursue an advanced degree in one of these fields in the future, you will never use that stuff again. if you're like most of us, you're taking it because it's required.. and you're dumping it out of your brain, along with your notebook into the trash can, as soon as the final is over.

that being said, PT school has so far been the most stressful time in my life. i guess that's relative though.. you may have come from much more stressful situations than myself. for me, i was used to going to school 3 hours or so a day for 3-4 days a week, being off on friday, studying, and partying. the biggest change in PT school is getting used to having your entire day consumed by sitting in class/lab, every day of the week, for quite some time.. like a full time job you don't get paid for. i wasn't used to going from having a ton of free time to really none at all. there have been times i was so overwhelmed with stress that i just cried, and honestly thought about dropping out because i didn't think it was worth it. in the end, i know it is. you just have to suck it up.. in the scheme of things, 2.5-3 years out of your life is really no time at all, it flies by. the time is going to pass either way, might as well make it count. also, everyone has told me that the first year is the hardest and most stressful.. apparently it gets easier the next year, and certainly once clinicals start because you're not sitting in class and studying for anything.. although there are case studies that have to be written (which sucks almost more in it's own way, not to be discouraging). but anyway... i realize i've written a novel. procrastination at it's best!

Reactions: 1 users
I am hoping to start PT school this summer or next fall...How does it work with attendance at your schools? Are you expected to attend every class? I am guessing it isn't like undergrad since the classes are muuuuuuch smaller at least then a public university. Do you get out early sometimes? Personally, I am afraid that my finances will be the cause of most of my stress, not the academics. Are student loans enough to make you live comfortably? I hope the answers to these questions will help the OP as well. Thanks in advance

Chill out buckeye. I was just trying to say that even if the material is difficult, it is enjoyable because the student is finally studying what they are interested in. I am not saying that it is not stressful, I am just saying that difficult classes that you enjoy, are much easier than difficult classes that you do not enjoy.

Then why not just state that to the person who asked it?

I am hoping to start PT school this summer or next fall...How does it work with attendance at your schools? Are you expected to attend every class? I am guessing it isn't like undergrad since the classes are muuuuuuch smaller at least then a public university. Do you get out early sometimes? Personally, I am afraid that my finances will be the cause of most of my stress, not the academics. Are student loans enough to make you live comfortably? I hope the answers to these questions will help the OP as well. Thanks in advance

My school didn't require attendance and I'm happy for that. However, in a relatively small class, professors notice who consistently shows up. That can make a difference for you down the road.

We got out early many times, but also had to stay late for some classes. Truthfully, I had way more time on my hands than I would have thought. I used it to study my arse off and it helped. It's all about time management in my opinion.

Although loans can be difficult to deal with, dont be afraid to get them if they are the difference between going to school or not. I look at the situation this way - many people are very willing to spend much more than what it costs to get a PT degree on a house, which during our lifetime will probably not return as much $ as a PT degree will - plus you have the intangibles of education that will stick with you forever.
Of course, I would go to the least expensive PT school, but if I was only accepted by a private school, then the expense would be worth it.

Also, be sure to ask the professors at your school if any graduate assistantships are available. GA's often pay all or a portion of your tuition and give you a stipend to live on. Most professors that have research money have some available (if not full). There are ways to get through school financially, although the task seems daunting!

To the OP, good luck in school. I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks I appreciate all the comments

Although loans can be difficult to deal with, dont be afraid to get them if they are the difference between going to school or not. I look at the situation this way - many people are very willing to spend much more than what it costs to get a PT degree on a house, which during our lifetime will probably not return as much $ as a PT degree will - plus you have the intangibles of education that will stick with you forever.
Of course, I would go to the least expensive PT school, but if I was only accepted by a private school, then the expense would be worth it.

Also, be sure to ask the professors at your school if any graduate assistantships are available. GA's often pay all or a portion of your tuition and give you a stipend to live on. Most professors that have research money have some available (if not full). There are ways to get through school financially, although the task seems daunting!

Thanks for the response! There is no question that I will be taking loans out. From all of your experiences, have student loans been sufficient to support your life styles? I don't mean buying a car or going out to eat and partying every night. But for an average male in his young 20's, will I be able to have money to live on my own and enjoy most of the things other people my age with a job can enjoy? I hope to attend an instate public school with reasonable tuition. That said, I would be able to take a little more out in loans for personal finances if that is feasible. I am not sure how that works. I know their is a limit but is that amount enough?

You will should be able to live just fine on what the school allows you to take out for financial aid. legally, the school can let you take out loans to cover tuition and cost of living (which is determined by the school). cost of living usually is $7000 -13000/year depending on where you live. it is a small amount but if you have little debt, and a small car loan (or no car loan at all), you should be fine - even with the occasional (needed) party. College is a great place to work on budgeting skills.
If these loans do not suffice, there are additional credit based loans availiable but at really high interest rates (not worth it unless absolutely needed). Things will work out for you!

You will should be able to live just fine on what the school allows you to take out for financial aid. legally, the school can let you take out loans to cover tuition and cost of living (which is determined by the school). cost of living usually is $7000 -13000/year depending on where you live. it is a small amount but if you have little debt, and a small car loan (or no car loan at all), you should be fine - even with the occasional (needed) party. College is a great place to work on budgeting skills.
If these loans do not suffice, there are additional credit based loans availiable but at really high interest rates (not worth it unless absolutely needed). Things will work out for you!

Hey thanks for the info and positive outlook. Im going for the University at Stony Brook(Long Island, NY) I am guessing the cost of living grant will be on the high end for me.