How hard is radiology to match into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInScrubs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at match statistics from 2011, there is about a 90% match rate even for people with a low Step 1 (210-220). From this one would think basically anybody can match. However looking at the "What are my changes?" thread, it seems like people with Step 1s in the 230's and 240's are being told that they will have to Honor clinical rotations or need to "apply broadly" in order to match. This leads one to think even people with those numbers are at a risk of not matching.

I realize that if one matches into a very weak program, job prospects will be tough once completing residency. So just matching may not be acceptable. So how hard is it to match into a respectable radiology residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious to know as well

I recently had a chance to talk to the dean of education at my school. I was told that the field is not as competitive as it used to be, and the students who were considered subpar matched into fairly respective residency programs, although they were from a so called "top-tier" school. I think this makes sense if you look at the recent turn of events from the possible emergence of automated software in the future to the recent ARB changes that practically lengthens the residency education from five to six years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Automated software is nowhere near being a threat to radiologists.

Automated software is nowhere near being a threat to radiologists.

I agree that such software will not replace the radiologists entirely anytime soon. But although its current application is limited mostly to tumor detection, CADe is already being extensively used in preventive medical check-ups. In the future I can easily see such software taking away good amounts of the repetitive portions of the work radiologists do and parts of their reimbursements of course.

I saw cad in action a month ago. If the computer did the official mammogram read, it would have led to 20 biopsies, all of which would have missed the blatant fungating 5 cm breast mass. If that is our future, god help us all.

It's not hard to match for a US grad at all, but try and match at a west coast or well-known program and it can be pretty tough.

It's not hard to match for a US grad at all, but try and match at a west coast or well-known program and it can be pretty tough.
What about matching somewhere in the northeast or midatlantic?

So you are saying, matching in california would be difficult? Why?

Also, wouldn't basically any specialty be hard to match into at a top program or in a super nice location? I am trying to figure out how hard it is to match in radiology relative to other specialties.

What are the chances of a Caribbean student matching into a radiology program?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are saying, matching in california would be difficult? Why?

Matching in California for any specialty, especially if you go to school out-of-state, is typically harder because of its desirable location. As it is right now, it is not hard to match into radiology if you are willing to go to any program and you apply very broadly. It remains very competitive at top programs and desirable locations. This is in contrast to dermatology, plastics, ortho, ENT, Rad Onc which are competitive no matter where the program is located.

What about matching somewhere in the northeast or midatlantic?

It is not difficult to match into the northeast at all. Most unfilled programs this year were in the northeast, largely in Pennsylvania, New York, and I think New Jersey. There are so many programs in this region of varying quality and competitiveness ranging from those that are extremely competitive and desirable to ones that regularly go unfilled.

There are many, many sub-par residency programs that are not hard to match into if "just want to do" radiology.

There are many, many sub-par residency programs that are not hard to match into if "just want to do" radiology.

I would love to know where these "sub-par" residency programs reside. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is as hard as you want to make it. There are plenty of programs out there. Unfortunately, here on SDN, only a good handful of programs are considered good when in reality about 95% of the programs out there are really great. A lot of people work hard to get into average programs and for others its a breeze. And the same goes for the programs ranked in the top 10-15. I would say it has become easier to get into radiology since many people feel skeptical towards the job market.

It is as hard as you want to make it. There are plenty of programs out there. Unfortunately, here on SDN, only a good handful of programs are considered good when in reality about 95% of the programs out there are really great. A lot of people work hard to get into average programs and for others its a breeze. And the same goes for the programs ranked in the top 10-15. I would say it has become easier to get into radiology since many people feel skeptical towards the job market.

SDN is tame compared to auntminnie when it comes to only a handful of programs being good.

SDN is tame compared to auntminnie when it comes to only a handful of programs being good.

I can't figure out how to find the "good" :rolleyes: programs. Is there a list? Ranking system? Word of mouth?

I can't figure out how to find the "good" :rolleyes: programs. Is there a list? Ranking system? Word of mouth?

A couple of resources have compared programs by interview and previous residents. Honestly, a good program is very subjective. Your personal needs and desires will play more than what is published in ranking systems.

www.Scutwork.com

radiology.matchapplicants.com

FRIEDA

Word of Mouth

I would love to know where these "sub-par" residency programs reside. :rolleyes:

I would say that any program that fills more than 50% of their class by SOAP for more than 2 years may have some red flags. These programs are probably easier to get into.

Last edited by a moderator:

A lot of Midwest programs are what I would consider "sub-par." I can say that because I interviewed at a number of them. Take a look at the unmatched programs list over the past two years and that should give you a good indication of mediocre programs. Typically programs that only fill half their spots are not very desirable.

Yep. Unless you trained at MGH, UCSF, Penn, MIR, Hopkins, Michigan, UWash, Duke, BWH etc. they say your training is "subpar."

Hopefully the program I SOAPed into will make me into a better than sub-par radiologist.

A subpar program won't make you a subpar radiologist unless you let it. While there are some obvious benefits of a big academic program, you can become a competent radiologist at any residency in the country

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not hard to match into radiology if you are willing to apply broadly. There are just so many programs out there.