How hard is transition from Honors to AP?

D

deleted421268

How hard is the transition from honors to AP in a science? I take Honors Chem now and am aiming to take AP in a science next year. How hard was the transition from honors to AP for you guys? What you need to know for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I went from regular classes straight to AP; I was recomended for AP right after my freshman year. Difficulty and structure of classes will differ between schools as well as individual teachers, but the main difference I observed, and enjoyed, was that there was greater emphasis on problem solving methodologies in AP instead of simple memorization, which is a characteristic of many regular courses. I highly recommend AP U.S. History, it can be tough as nails but it is fun and will give you some significant analytical skills.

Actually, I went from regular classes straight to AP; I was recomended for AP right after my freshman year. Difficulty and structure of classes will differ between schools as well as individual teachers, but the main difference I observed, and enjoyed, was that there was greater emphasis on problem solving methodologies in AP instead of simple memorization, which is a characteristic of many regular courses. I highly recommend AP U.S. History, it can be tough as nails but it is fun and will give you some significant analytical skills.

I am not a history guy, I just want to take and am planning on taking AP in a Science for sure and Math.

Members don't see this ad :)
The material isn't a lot harder, but you've got a lot more busy work. And a lot of teachers teach the subjects wrong, ex. AP Chem. Most people in my HS learned nothing. AP Bio however is pretty much impossible to do wrong, and giving you an early start to college bio is great, I know it helped me out majorly.

Either way, take the classes for a foundation for college classes. Pass up the AP tests because med schools won't count them and so you can get easy A's in freshman year.

Freshman year I took regular physcial science, sophomore year took regular bio, and this year taking honors chem. How much of information do I need to retain from those classes say like honors chem heading into AP Chem, AP Bio, or AP Physics?

The material isn't that much harder, it's just that the work load is increased, and that's what makes it "Advanced Placement". They move a lot more quickly in those courses than in regular honors or CP courses.

Just to chime in my two cents: If you are doing fairly well in an honors class and you are a motivated person, you'd probably be a very good fit for an AP class. I've only taken humanity AP's(music theory, history and English) and I think the most beneficial aspect has been how the classes have made me prone to critical thinking...plus, you can't help but walk out of a humanities class feeling just a little bit smarter. ;)

The material isn't that much harder, it's just that the work load is increased, and that's what makes it "Advanced Placement". They move a lot more quickly in those courses than in regular honors or CP courses.

Eh, I don't think they moved all that much faster especially with all the filler. I'd just expect to be up to your neck in bs assignments that your teacher assumes will help communicate and engrave important themes into you.

Freshman year I took regular physcial science, sophomore year took regular bio, and this year taking honors chem. How much of information do I need to retain from those classes say like honors chem heading into AP Chem, AP Bio, or AP Physics?

Er, for chemistry you'll probably just need a basic grasp of the mechanics of chemical reactions, states, etc. For AP Bio you might need somewhat of a strong grasp on the previous material so you don't feel lost and having to make up/memorize everything as opposed to looking for themes and learning. And AP Physics will probably have more to do with you being good at Math than anything.