How hard will it be to soap to family medicine from DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

havil

Probationary Status
Reaction score
granted that you are willing to go anywhere

Members don't see this ad.

If you pass everything, you have to have a serious issue with your personality to not match *somewhere* if you're applying to non-competitive specialties. There are more slots than US applicants for FM, meaning they'd rather pay for a visa or accept a foreign-educated American than you if you can't SOAP into FM.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
If you pass everything, you have to have a serious issue with your personality to not match *somewhere* if you're applying to non-competitive specialties. There are more slots than US applicants for FM, meaning they'd rather pay for a visa or accept a foreign-educated American than you if you can't SOAP into FM.
would anesthesiology or psych be considered non comp to u?

Also i dont understand this part "there are more slots than US applicants for FM, meaning they'd rather pay for a visa or accept a foreign-educated American than you if you can't SOAP into FM"

fm programs would rather accept foreign graduates than DOs who soap?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesia is fairly competitive right now but that can always change. Psych is probably low-medium competitive.

I'm saying if you can't SOAP into FM it's because you have a super obvious personality disorder or something else that seriously sticks out in a really negative way. I have DO friends that failed their boards, repeated a year, etc and still matched FM fairly high on their match list. There are more FM training positions than US students, so some programs have to pay for foreigners to come take up those slots. They don't want to pay if they can get something decent for free.

Anesthesia and Psych are becoming more competitive, and I see this to continue. Look at Charting Outcomes from 2022 and see the match rates for DOs in those specialties. It comes out every 2 years.

Last edited:
. There are more FM training positions than US students, so some programs have to pay for foreigners to come take up those slots. They don't want to pay if they can get something decent for free.
uhhh if i get accepted into an MD/DO, i would still need to be sponsored visa to go to a residency program because i am not a citizen or a greencard holder, not sure if what you are saying applies to me ..........

uhhh if i get accepted into an MD/DO, i would still need to be sponsored visa to go to a residency program because i am not a citizen or a greencard holder, not sure if what you are saying applies to me ..........
Oh, getting any job becomes more difficult if you need a visa but I don't know how that works if you're a US school grad tbh.

Having a green card makes things easier. I'm not sure how it works, but a work visa should be required to match a residency. I'd definitely find this out earlier than later. Good luck and best wishes

Reactions: 1 user

Reactions: 1 user
granted that you are willing to go anywhere
Why are you not accepted into any residency? If everything in your profile is perfect and you applied reasonably and didn't match, people would wonder about your personality.