How hard ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarapary

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question but I don't know if people have already asked it or not. I want to know how hard is pharmacy school? I mean compare to pre-pharmacy. and does pharmacy school has labs like o-chem labs? what kind of lab does it have exactly?

thanks for helping me:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question but I don't know if people have already asked it or not. I want to know how hard is pharmacy school? I mean compare to pre-pharmacy. and does pharmacy school has labs like o-chem labs? what kind of lab does it have exactly?

thanks for helping me:luck:

No, we don't have labs like o-chem. We have compounding lab where we make creams, etc. We also have a skills lab where you learn how to inject, test blood, take blood pressure, make IVs, and so on.

It's not hard, there is just a lot of material in a short period of time. Every class is like that. If you study for one class, then you can fall behind in another one. You just have to keep pushing yourself.

When I went to UCSF, we had labs. I just checked their curriculum & they still have pharmaceutical chemistry (which is an advanced kind of organic chemistry), physical chemistry, physiology, etc.....all with labs.

Yes, it was hard. Much harder than my undergraduate years, but it seemed an easier task because it was one I willing took and looked forward to.

Members don't see this ad :)
While you're in the classes and studying, you're going to think it's the hardest thing in the world. Then you move on to the next semester and think the previous one was easy and NOW you're in the hardest stuff in the world.

Is it harder than pre-pharm? Heck yes in the fact that you have so much more material to learn and you must stay on top of things.

It's like having a full-time job where you don't get paid and get a performance evaluation every week. It's busy and there are always about five things that need attention. I think pharmacy school is enjoyable in spite of the occassional stress.

Depends on the school you go to, but for the most part pharmacy is tough. Like others have mentioned it builds up - and by your P4 year you'll be busier with rotations, etc. Some schools will require you to dress business casual for labs. And yes, I've heard it's like a full-time job where you are paying, instead of getting paid.