How has coronavirus affected your University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any school given refunds? Details?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have any school given refunds? Details?

Not going to happen. And only way any legal action would be successful is if it’s somehow a class action lawsuit and then it’s the lawyers that get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Not going to happen. And only way any legal action would be successful is if it’s somehow a class action lawsuit and then it’s the lawyers that get paid.

I think I heard OHSU got refund of clinical fees

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If schools go online this fall, do you think tuition prices will decrease since we wont be able to utilize campus resources? (i know its unlikely)

This girl already filed a lawsuit against OSU to get her clinic fees back. IMO it's probably not worth it if she's gonna need to pay a lawyer.
School pays for fees if she wins, if she loses the lawyer doesn’t charge. Plus it’s more about principle than anything else. Imagine paying 18k to take 3credits of online summer classes....

School pays for fees if she wins, if she loses the lawyer doesn’t charge. Plus it’s more about principle than anything else. Imagine paying 18k to take 3credits of online summer classes....
So it’s much more complicated than this. This student is actually filing a class action suit. So one person is filing a lawsuit with this firm and technically it will represent the entire dental school class. This is actually significant because if they win, it could motivate schools to go ahead and reimburse. If the student/ firm win, every student would be entitled to the lost clinic fees which is what they are after. So that’s somewhere around $160,000-$200,000 owed by the school in the settlement. If that’s it, the students won’t get there full fees reimbursed because a lot of that money will go to the legal team. HOWEVER, the suit could ask the school to pay the legal fees PLUS the awarded “damages”. Then both students and legal team get payed. So we’ll see.

Reactions: 6 users
So it’s much more complicated than this. This student is actually filing a class action suit. So one person is filing a lawsuit with this firm and technically it will represent the entire dental school class. This is actually significant because if they win, it could motivate schools to go ahead and reimburse. If the student/ firm win, every student would be entitled to the lost clinic fees which is what they are after. So that’s somewhere around $160,000-$200,000 owed by the school in the settlement. If that’s it, the students won’t get there full fees reimbursed because a lot of that money will go to the legal team. HOWEVER, the suit could ask the school to pay the legal fees PLUS the awarded “damages”. Then both students and legal team get payed. So we’ll see.

When would we hear back with her case you think?

Are any dental schools open for clinic currently?

Also curious about this. I'm starting to think that dental clinics will be more immune to the recession coming up these next 2-3 years because a lot of our patients have Medicaid-based dental plans. However, whether they will be scared to come in or not is another question that I don't know the answer to.

When would we hear back with her case you think?
No clue. Class action suits can take several months to a couple years. The school can also appeal the final decision if it goes against them, which would delay it even longer. And someone mentioned that if the students lose the case, there would be no legal fees. We don't know that. The firm could be taking the case for exposure and agree to no fees unless they win, but that is not a sure thing.

It's also worth to mention that the money would probably be going back to the government, not for students to spend

A faculty just let us know that almost 1/3 of the class of 2020 will have to stay past graduation to finish their requirements, which will take up clinic space of us D3's. Then they still have to take their licensing boards exam which will probably be on manikin, so they will also need the preclinical lab to practice. It's just a messy situation for everyone involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
A faculty just let us know that almost 1/3 of the class of 2020 will have to stay past graduation to finish their requirements, which will take up clinic space of us D3's. Then they still have to take their licensing boards exam which will probably be on manikin, so they will also need the preclinical lab to practice. It's just a messy situation for everyone involved.
which school is this?

Hey, just curious how things are going on where you are. I'm studying at an Australian university and our schools med program has already cancelled all clinical days indefinitely at the hospital to follow the government's recommendations. However, the dental school is still just business as usual, even though we're at the same hospital.

The virus is affecting everything here because of the lockdowns/shutdowns, and it's starting to hit the major universities here too. This just came out about Duke, one of the richest colleges in the country: Duke to suspend University-paid retirement fund contributions, cut salaries for highly compensated employees

(*Edit: I tried to drop the link to that article, but I guess I can't leave a link. Anyway, that is the title of the article in the Duke Chronicle. If you drop that title into Google, the article should show up).

The impacts of the situations and then the impacts of the impacts are surprising in how it seems to be affecting everything.

students talking about a class action here too, i think one has been filed at the undergraduate level, but nobody has filed one against the dental school just yet

6/1 start date for the 45-65 D4's that still need to graduate, sometime in July for D3s, sometime in August for D2s (incoming 3s). First years and incoming first years probably online school still. As always, plans subject to change, and will probably get pushed back.

They said when we do come back we will be fitted for N95s, they did not give much of a plan other than that

Reactions: 2 users
Tennessee will open dental labs and simulation clinics May 26th for D1’s and D2’s. Endo clinic to resume June 1st. Pedo has already resumed. Not sure about the others. Ortho has open bay chairs so it may be more difficult for them. Lectures still all online. No timetable for D3/ D4’s to resume clinic. Most D4’s have graduated. Finished requirements via simulation exercises.

Tennessee will open dental labs and simulation clinics May 26th for D1’s and D2’s. Endo clinic to resume June 1st. Pedo has already resumed. Not sure about the others. Ortho has open bay chairs so it may be more difficult for them. Lectures still all online. No timetable for D3/ D4’s to resume clinic. Most D4’s have graduated. Finished requirements via simulation exercises.

Aren't all clinic chairs open bay?

-OSU new D2/3s will start preclinic again may 26 (half class sessions at a time)
-class of 2022 who have to finish (28 students) start clinic May 26
-class of 2021 will jump in clinic soon, class of 2022 will then follow them if things go as planned

Aren't all clinic chairs open bay?

No. By open bay, I mean open bay clinic. Literally 0 walls surrounding the chair. Just one room with 6-8 patient chairs in it.

Again, another southern state school opening next week.

Will Endo and Ortho residents graduate on time after 3 months hiatus from the program? Or will they add more time to the end of the program?

Majority of schools are still closed with no timeline to re-open.

I go to school in the Midwest and they're intent on a reopen day of July 6

• Wow
I know it varies state by state but some schools don't realize how big of a risk it is to open schools before announcements from government official announcements.

I know it varies state by state but some schools don't realize how big of a risk it is to open schools before announcements from government official announcements.

Our school is already hinting that we will not have normal patient volume as D4s. Honestly, seems like we will be overpaying for a subpar experience for the next 1-2 yrs.

Reactions: 4 users
Our school is already hinting that we will not have normal patient volume as D4s. Honestly, seems like we will be overpaying for a subpar experience for the next 1-2 yrs.

That’s actually for all levels in dental school. D1s and D2s will be studying online and probably be off limits to the school’s facilities at many programs. D3s and D4s will have fewer patients. The cost to ROI for students will be very high. The schools win.

Reactions: 3 users
Penn is having rising D4s return beginning of June. Rising D3s will return beginning of July.

That’s actually for all levels in dental school. D1s and D2s will be studying online and probably be off limits to the school’s facilities at many programs. D3s and D4s will have fewer patients. The cost to ROI for students will be very high. The schools win.

Lectures will all be online, and then smaller groups of students will be allowed into preclinic at different times. Honestly this doesn't change much anyways. Our lectures are always recorded, so maybe 5% of our class actually attends the lectures in person. We only ever go to school as D1s/D2s for preclinic.

Penn is having rising D4s return beginning of June. Rising D3s will return beginning of July.

Lectures will all be online, and then smaller groups of students will be allowed into preclinic at different times. Honestly this doesn't change much anyways. Our lectures are always recorded, so maybe 5% of our class actually attends the lectures in person. We only ever go to school as D1s/D2s for preclinic.

There must be some capacity limitations. Many states are asking businesses including dental offices to not exceed 50% of their normal volumes. So PA schools (not sure about Pitts) will probably not have their clinics at 100% - prolonging everything including competencies.

All of the things you listed are negligible. Paying for dental school is basically just paying for a piece of paper that allows you to practice dentistry. You don't really learn **** until you get into the real world. I would have happily paid my regular tuition to learn on my computer all day and possibly have a job that first semester if I were lucky. That would have been a major stress reliever. If you go to dental school for a social life, you must have some pretty screwed up priorities. Plus, there's plenty of time to network and form lasting professional relationships with faculty after D1 year, especially in all the pre-clinical lab courses required in the D2 year.

This guy gets it.

Eh.... I'm married and have two kids. Those are my weekends. My social life isn't what it used to be, and I'm not really in dental school to have it feel like "undergrad" again. And I already stay in touch and associate with my classmates i'm friends with. Online has been great because it just gives me a way better balance between school and home life. And I'll have 3 more years to associate with faculty and staff, not really too concerned. D1 is full of instructors from other departments anyway to cover a lot of your so ever "essential" didactic courses. But, obviously that's my situation. Not everyone is in the same position. I'm just glad i'm a D1 instead of an incoming D1 or D4. With a time like this its easy to focus on all the crap that has come because of the virus, but overall I recognize it could be a lot of worse and my situations not all that bad.

Depends. I think it’ll be worse for your class. Tuition will skyrocket and requirements to make up for everything will INCREASE.

You will be the guinea pig.

They’ll see what doesn’t work and maybe adjust for incoming D1.

I think Class of 2020/2021 fair better because there will be a lot of reduction for requirements with changes to licensure making it easier (mannikin versus live patients).

It’ll probably go back to live patients when your time comes.

Depends. I think it’ll be worse for your class. Tuition will skyrocket and requirements to make up for everything will INCREASE.

You will be the guinea pig.

They’ll see what doesn’t work and maybe adjust for incoming D1.

I think Class of 2020/2021 fair better because there will be a lot of reduction for requirements with changes to licensure making it easier (mannikin versus live patients).

It’ll probably go back to live patients when your time comes.

Definitely don’t see how requirements could increase if the virus lingers for another year or so and patient flow is impacted because of the virus as well as the economic crisis.

I imagine, as long as patient flow is an issue, that schools will prioritize whatever patients they get for the class that’s closest to graduation. They’ve prioritized D4s for now, but as soon as those are out the door, they’ll prioritize D3s, etc. until things go back to normal. Hard to picture how we’ll get there.

Definitely don’t see how requirements could increase if the virus lingers for another year or so and patient flow is impacted because of the virus as well as the economic crisis.

I imagine, as long as patient flow is an issue, that schools will prioritize whatever patients they get for the class that’s closest to graduation. They’ve prioritized D4s for now, but as soon as those are out the door, they’ll prioritize D3s, etc. until things go back to normal. Hard to picture how we’ll get there.

Sorry maybe I didn’t explain better. What I mean is that if we are looking at a vaccine in 2021 and this is behind us by then, then Class of 2022 should expect NO REDUCTION in requirements and MAYBE some additional added.

Class of 2023 should expect to meet more requirements to meet the decrease in production, don’t expect reductions or to remain plateau.

Tuition will increase sharply by then. I’m not sure if we will see a sharp increase for 2020-2021.

This is all what I’ve been hearing and remember, it’s all written in Jello and every school is different.

It seems like all classes will be online for the remaining summer semester for dental schools (including simulation lab). Mainly first and second year students stay-home order will be extended because they will technically be treated like non-clinic students.

Tufts D21 back in clinic since June. D22 supposed to enter Nov 1st. other years? only god knows when. clinic is forecast to run at 50% max capacity through 2021. less clinic time for all

Edit: I think D23 and D24 are supposed to come back to school in January

Last edited:
How much procedures is everyone doing? My school is running at 50% capacity due to covid meaning we go clinic every other week. On top of that we switched to a D3/D4 partner pairing system (curriculum change, not bc of covid), meaning 2 students share 1 dental chair the week we are in clinic.

I've only done 3 fillings, 2 EXT, 1 perio maint as procedures so far. My school re-opened mid-August.

• Wow
How much procedures is everyone doing? My school is running at 50% capacity due to covid meaning we go clinic every other week. On top of that we switched to a D3/D4 partner pairing system (curriculum change, not bc of covid), meaning 2 students share 1 dental chair the week we are in clinic.

I've only done 3 fillings, 2 EXT, 1 perio maint as procedures so far. My school re-opened mid-August.

I take this as you are a D3? is any of the 3 fillings class 3 or 2 or 4 by any chance?

Sorry this happens to you. try to make the best out of it.

I take this as you are a D3? is any of the 3 fillings class 3 or 2 or 4 by any chance?

Sorry this happens to you. try to make the best out of it.

yeah im a D3. 2 of them were Class I replacements, one class II DO

yeah im a D3. 2 of them were Class I replacements, one class II DO

what are your upperclassmen experience like before covid? is this super low compared to them?

Try to get to about 200-300 restorations in school. A lot of people suggest AEGD or GPR but now those programs have strict regulations and experiences drop as well.

I suggest if you have any patients. Try to build a relationship with them. Talk to them. Reassure them it is ok to come to school to get dental treatments and you always put their safety above all else. After everything filling/ext, text them and ask if they are doing ok. if they are still numb and how long does it take for the numbness to wear off. during the procedure, before you do something (penetrate with needle, start drilling, put a band on to restore, ask if the patient is doing ok or if the patient feels any discomfort).

Once they start to like you, they will show up to appt then your appointment booking will be more predictable. This is the only way to combat the limited chair/seats allowed now to see patient in dental school.

I graduated and my clinical year happened before covid. I have a very limited patient pool in dental school (20 assigned patients, 7 are deadbeats, 13 total active patients) but I manage to find all treatments and even go above the requirements with just these 13 patients. They all choose to stick to me and finish all their treatments. Other classmates have like 40 patients or 50-60 patients.

best of luck.

what are your upperclassmen experience like before covid? is this super low compared to them?

Try to get to about 200-300 restorations in school. A lot of people suggest AEGD or GPR but now those programs have strict regulations and experiences drop as well.

I suggest if you have any patients. Try to build a relationship with them. Talk to them. Reassure them it is ok to come to school to get dental treatments and you always put their safety above all else. After everything filling/ext, text them and ask if they are doing ok. if they are still numb and how long does it take for the numbness to wear off. during the procedure, before you do something (penetrate with needle, start drilling, put a band on to restore, ask if the patient is doing ok or if the patient feels any discomfort).

Once they start to like you, they will show up to appt then your appointment booking will be more predictable. This is the only way to combat the limited chair/seats allowed now to see patient in dental school.

I graduated and my clinical year happened before covid. I have a very limited patient pool in dental school (20 assigned patients, 7 are deadbeats, 13 total active patients) but I manage to find all treatments and even go above the requirements with just these 13 patients. They all choose to stick to me and finish all their treatments. Other classmates have like 40 patients or 50-60 patients.

best of luck.

I'm not sure how much they used to do tbh. We had a curriculum change last year. Before each dental student got their own chair, but now we are partnered D3/D4, so 2 students share 1 chair. There was a lot of negative feedback from upperclassmen bc of that saying we now see a lot less patients / appt times.

So I figure the new curriculum + COVID has been lowering my procedure count. That's crazy to me you did 200-300 fillings in school. I think I'm projected to get 20 fillings done by end of D3. Right now I have one denture patient and 0 planned crowns/bridges/RCTs.

Kinda bummed out, afraid I wont be ready to practice when done with school.

12% Tuition hike to cover clinic losses and increased tech costs. Kicker is we are watching pre recorded lectures they would have been uploading anyway.

• Wow
12% Tuition hike to cover clinic losses and increased tech costs. Kicker is we are watching pre recorded lectures they would have been uploading anyway.

Which school is this? That seems really unfair to the students. That is also a huge increase for just 1 year.

We also just had a tuition hike, my D4 year will cost $5600 more than original lolol

Which school is this? That seems really unfair to the students. That is also a huge increase for just 1 year.

Texas A&M COD/Baylor/Dallas whatever

Yeah it’s massive, one of the reasons I picked this school was because it was so cheap. Was. That change amounts to 17K more over the next three years.