How has coronavirus affected your University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still on 4.0 scale? We're Pass/Fail (except a few 3rd year courses). Best news I had heard since getting into dental school tbh

Members don't see this ad.

There was an email sent out that the DLOSCE exam will be ready in June (or July cant remember which one).

There should be lots of pressure on the different states to accept this exam. It would solve a huge amount of issues. Hopefully common sense prevails
What's the pressure? Most states have effectively shut down all dental activity

I would think the pressure is if they try to say "oh we cant licence you because you're not allowed to take a clinical exam due to coronavirus".
Our response would be well actually I can take a clinical exam, the DLOSCE is computer based and approved for licensure, you are just deciding that you don't want to recognise it

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still on 4.0 scale? We're Pass/Fail (except a few 3rd year courses). Best news I had heard since getting into dental school tbh
My school is currently still 4.0. I really hope this changes though.

From personal experience, D4s with contracts in the works with a prospective employer would like the unnecessary barrier/unknown of licensure removed/expedited. It's hard enough working with said employer on when a start date might be on the horizon with respect to restrictions and patient load (yes, no one knows when this will improve), but also throwing in "no idea if/when we'll graduate, oh, also no idea if we're going to get a license any time soon" just adds unnecessary burden. IMO.

It obviously boils down to talking with the employer and both agreeing to just wait this out, getting the license taken care of is one less thing to wait on.

Guessing we won’t hear much until the 13th

Maryland has changed nothing format/grading scale wise. No chance for tuition reimbursement (keep in mind we are watching recordings of last years lectures for "class").

Also they have the gall to mention tuition might GO UP so they can purchase proctoring services for exams. Not joking. I really thought Maryland was reasonable for a dental school, guess not.

• Wow
  • Angry
CODA is having a meeting on April 2nd and we have a scheduled meeting with our dean on April 3rd.

Our school told us that CODA meeting is postponed until next year! "We received notice from the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) that all postponed and remaining site visits through 2020 will be cancelled and rescheduled in 2021."

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Our school told us that CODA meeting is postponed until next year! "We received notice from the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) that all postponed and remaining site visits through 2020 will be cancelled and rescheduled in 2021."
That means they postpone their site visits. They are holding their online meetings to discuss urgent things.

Any idea what this means for those due to start residencies this summer? What happens to the match agreement? What about internationals?

Louisville just announced that they are progressively cutting pays of all employees making 100k+ until June 30th (basically a lot of dental school faculty) and that there will be a hiring freeze with "likely implementing temporary changes" to even retirement benefits. Furloughs are apparently also planned. Dental students were given the option to convert this semester's grading to pass/fail.

Last edited:
Louisville just announced that they are progressively cutting pays of all employees making 100k+ until June 30th (basically a lot of dental school faculty) and that there will be a hiring freeze with "likely implementing temporary changes" to even retirement benefits. Furloughs are apparently also planned. Dental students were given the option to convert this semester's grading to pass/fail.

Better than upcharging poor dental students

Members don't see this ad :)

Will tenured faculty also be furloughed?

The amount of rumors on this thread are absurd. At least the facebook group with like 4,000+ D4s actually has up to date facts, check that out. Essentially no one knows anything. CODA hasnt even met and they sent out a specific schedule on when things will be decided, which isnt until Mid May. Same with boards etc. even if CODA does waive anything that means nothing if you dont have a license. Even if you get a license (other than those who already completed ADEX) doesnt mean a state will accept it if the boards are switched to typodont etc.

There are at least 3 HUGE hoops to jump through.

Graduating - Dependent upon CODA and Schools

Licensing- Will Wreb/Adex continue? Become typodont? Will the OSCE actually be started like they say it will? Licensure upon graduation?

Individual States - If California gives you a license for graduating it wont help if you move elsewhere. If one state lets you take Typodont based boards and you move to California will they accept it since its notnon a patient? Lots and lots of possibilities here.

Assuming all three of those hoops can be jumped through, when will offices even open back up? Who is hiring? Who will be retiring any time soon?

And then there are residencies. My residency (OMFS 6yr) didnt seem too worried. Idk how any of them can say you break contracts good luck, because most incoming residents are going to break contracts if CODA doesnt let them get a degree. That being said, at least for most residency you only have to worry about getting a degree and you xan worry about licensure later. But even that’s going to suck when you cant find patients or being in dental school like before.

Long story short, it’s a mess and I hope this problem now can help us address the bigger issues that exists and are being put in the spotlight now. But for us now, everything is just guessing at this point. How can anyone decide anything when we dont even know how long this will last.

What is the facebook group called? Would you be able to provide a link? I'd like to join! Thank you :)

Will tenured faculty also be furloughed?

I don’t think so. The first people to be cut back are the adjunct faculty, which is a shame because they tend to teach you more real-world dentistry than the life-long academicians.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t think so. The first people to be cut back are the adjunct faculty, which is a shame because they tend to teach you more real-world dentistry than the life-long academicians.
Yeah, but I guess considering that there's no real-world dentistry going on in school clinics at the moment, this only makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users

How does that? Won't that affect class rankings? Incoming D1 here.

Any word on what came out of the CODA meeting today?

How does that? Won't that affect class rankings? Incoming D1 here.
mm, yeah class rankings won't shuffle around this quarter. For your class (if you have it), you just start getting ranked a quarter later?

Our school has given us the option to switch to P/F, but I am trying to improve my class rank so I have not decided which way to go. Well, that P/F option sounds really attractive now...

What is the facebook group called? Would you be able to provide a link? I'd like to join! Thank you :)

Its mostly for D4s, lots has been posted so use the search etc.

Has anything useful been posted there?

Yes, absolutely in fact it is pretty inspiring and makes me proud of our community. I have zero desire to be part of leadership roles and this has made me thankful for those that are. The class presidents are having a meeting on a weekly basis and they have set up individual state groups to help lobby for licensure. There are continual updates as soon as info is found out about CODA etc. Nothing official has been decided yet, but I know there are people out there representing us and its a good feeling.

Reactions: 4 users
Haven’t heard anything yet.

Neither have I, please pass on any info if you hear anything. Our dean was expecting to hear from CODA in the next 24-48 hours.

There are two separate issues going on. 1) Licensing and Boards and 2) Curriculum.

I'm not familiar with licensing and boards, but I know there are huge D4 groups going on with all the class representatives. For curriculum, we're just hoping CODA approves the various plans for online substitutions.

Seems from that ADA doc, GPR/AEGD won't be extended but Predoc d4 programs can be modified in length :dead:

Am I reading that right ?

Seems from that ADA doc, GPR/AEGD won't be extended but Predoc d4 programs can be modified in length :dead:

Am I reading that right ?

I think so. They specially marked out other time requirements for residencies, at least what I saw with Endo. They were pretty vague with you guys. Still says “4 years”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so. They specially marked out other time requirements for residencies, at least what I saw with Endo. They were pretty vague with you guys. Still says “4 years”.

36 academic months, not quite full 48 months...idk about you guys but we definitely have more than nine academic months per year at my school because we don't take many breaks. If I'm interpreting this correctly, this means we may not have to make up any lost days. Sounds like on-time (virtual) graduation is very likely?

EDIT 4/16: One of the course directors just told us that we will need to come back to finish the course and that everyone will be getting an "X" grade at the end of of this semester. We definitely won't be graduating on time.
4/20 This same course director just announced that he will be moving the competency online. We just might graduate in May.

Last edited:

I read the endo PDF. It seems like most residents won't have trouble graduating as long as they are deemed clinically competent by their program directors. How is a minimum program duration of 24 months different than 104 weeks?

I know at many dental schools it was announced today they are making several D4s who didn’t complete their requirements to return in the summer/fall to complete procedure on a manikin or an extracted tooth. Very interesting....

Last edited:
There’s absolutely no patient interaction (so no risk of contagion) and PPE can be reduced to bare minimum. Why can’t they just do it now or significantly before fall?

State executive order preventing gathering.

I know at my dental school it was announced today they are making several D4s who didn’t complete their endo requirement return in the summer/fall to complete an endo procedure on a manikin or an extracted tooth. No date was given when they will reopen the Sim Lab and allow students back. They don’t care if leases are expired or if you have residency.

Just wow..

They don’t care if leases are expired or if you have residency.

I don't know about these people's residency but mine clearly said that i can't start if i'm not 100% done with school; i won't graduated until all my prereqs are completed.

Admin at many schools have been very vague on if they will supply students with N95s upon arrival too, which is troubling. I thought most schools would be on top of that by now...

Last edited:
Most of the individuals who need to come back for the endo requirement are done w/ everything else. So it’s very troubling for those D4 students. We all feel bad for them. Our student council really advocated, but there’s so much they can do. Some of the D4s who were notified that they need to stay back reported having difficult convos with their residencies, saying they may not be able to have a DDS by their June/July start dates. The school admin kept saying some variation of “we have a reputation to maintain, so even if CODA is being flexible, we still have to verify competency by our own unique standards” I’m in Michigan btw. I’m doubtful the May 1st stay at home order will remain as is. It will probably be extended, and if that’s the case then who knows when the D4s who need to fulfill requirements will be let back.

To be fair, the school has been lenient on many other of it’s requirements such as restorative , Perio, and waived various competencies such as crown or RPD . However, they decided that endo is a “critical” competency which cannot be waived entirely, so instead of doing it on a patient, admin said they're giving students the option of doing it simulated on an extracted tooth. Admin has been very vague on how they came to the conclusion that an RPD can be waived while an endo cannot, and why they were lenient on some requirements and not the others.
Detroit-Mercy?

Detroit-Mercy?
No, from my understanding Detroit Mercy still wants its DS4's to come back and treat patients to finish their requirements.

• Wow
No, from my understanding Detroit Mercy still wants its DS4's to come back and treat patients to finish their requirements.
Most ridiculous and irrational thing I’ve ever heard in my life

Have any schools announced when they are reopening?

Have any schools announced when they are reopening?

I haven't seen anything on this and have heard from current students that the primary concern holding schools from re-opening is the lack of PPE. But I'm curious to know if schools with suggested opening dates in late April (e.g., NYU) are actually following through with that.

We (Louisville) were told June 1 at the earliest.

• Wow
Louisville June 1 earliest.. interesting. This is actually true?? I figure Midwest schools will act together with similar plans as part of a regional approach. Seeing that a lot of states will begin reopening May 1, and schools are part of phase 2 of trumps plan, I would say the absolute earliest for most schools would be May 15 (2 weeks after beginning of phase 1)... this is if trends stay down for 2 weeks in that particular state, and PPE is retrieved for schools again. Regardless of when it is, there will probably also be rules for at least a bit on distancing... like no more than 50 people in the preclinical labs, only so many operatories running at a time, and likely no in-person lectures. Assuming these precautions may last all summer with things going back to almost normal at start of fall semester if everything is as planned.

Loma Linda seemed pretty confident that the graduating class won't be back at all, and that clinic closure is possible to extend to summer quarters as well. (Which starts July)

• Wow
What does that mean for those who matched into residencies?

Sorry I wasnt clear, clinic is closed until possibly even into summer quarter, but the D4s will still be able to graduate on time. At least thats what the latest news and hope is.

Licensing is another issue completely.