How helpful does having a paper published when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhasifuture

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working on a research project (on Alzheimer's) for more than a year and just got it submitted last week. I am one of the authors in this paper. My question is: if the paper gets accepted, does it increase my chance of getting in a lot? Or do dental schools even care about research or papers published? The reason i'm asking is b/c this is my first paper and i'm very excited about it. Also, since my GPA is not as comparative (3.34 currently). I'll take my DAT in July 15th. Does that consider late if I want to be on the first batch of interviews? Any thoughts and feedbacks will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

it is still pretty early. just make sure everything else is submitted before then. DAT scores are quicker to go out than AADSAS stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working on a research project (on Alzheimer's) for more than a year and just got it submitted last week. I am one of the authors in this paper. My question is: if the paper gets accepted, does it increase my chance of getting in a lot? Or do dental schools even care about research or papers published? The reason i'm asking is b/c this is my first paper and i'm very excited about it. Also, since my GPA is not as comparative (3.34 currently). I'll take my DAT in July 15th. Does that consider late if I want to be on the first batch of interviews? Any thoughts and feedbacks will be greatly appreciated!

The best you can hope for is that if your ps is read it will get you noted. It is not a good substitute for notable gpa and DAT scores.

thanks guys for ur comments! well, i guess the best i can do now is to get a 21+ on my DAT. back to study

The best you can hope for is that if your ps is read it will get you noted. It is not a good substitute for notable gpa and DAT scores.

I agree. Don't think of it as anything that will get you in if your stats are lacking, but I am sure it helps.

In my case, definitely helped as an out of stater applying to VCU. I have 3 publications in different journals and it was pointed out a LOT in my interviews. One of my professors still asks me how my research went, how to get involved with it in dental school etc. I think it meant a lot and I love that VCU took such an active interest. It just adds to my VCU love ;)

In my case, definitely helped as an out of stater applying to VCU. I have 3 publications in different journals and it was pointed out a LOT in my interviews. One of my professors still asks me how my research went, how to get involved with it in dental school etc. I think it meant a lot and I love that VCU took such an active interest. It just adds to my VCU love ;)

What helped most was your M.S.. There is considerable difference between research done in undergrad and grad. In the former your name will be listed because you were the worker bee. In the latter, you are expected to initiate the idea for the research (within the limits of the field of interest of the prof), or at the least, have a more active role than just being a hired hand.

it doesn't matter as much as many people here wants to believe it does.

It does help, but DAT/GPA is much more important. Sure, if you have PhD, that is a different matter.

I had just published my first paper before submitting my AADSAS and it never got brought up at any of my 5 interviews :laugh:

It was the same for me. I have two papers and they did not even mention them at my interviews. I think it would help if you were "tied" with another applicant who had not published.