Help creating a timeline for applying 2024-2025.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rm777

Reaction score
Graduating May 2024.
I still need to study and take the DAT, apply, shadow 150 hours, and get LoR from a dentist. Yes, I'm screwed.
Please help me create a timeline on when to do each so I can apply this cycle.

How does this look? -

Shadow May - late June, get LoR hopefully
Study for DAT mid April - mid July
Take DAT late July
Apply early August

Members don't see this ad.

You aren't screwed if you release yourself from the burden of applying (late) this cycle. Stop rushing. Get your application profile done properly and apply next year. You don't want to go through the process as a reapplicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Graduating May 2024.
I still need to study and take the DAT, apply, shadow 150 hours, and get LoR from a dentist. Yes, I'm screwed.
Please help me create a timeline on when to do each so I can apply this cycle.

How does this look? -

Shadow May - late June, get LoR hopefully
Study for DAT mid April - mid July
Take DAT late July
Apply early August
you're not setting yourself for success
most people need minimum from oct until june, and preferably start in august or september
not saying you don't have any chance at all, especially since we don't know your gpa/dat, but you have to also deal with graduation, moving home (?) etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't screwed if you release yourself from the burden of applying (late) this cycle. Stop rushing. Get your application profile done properly and apply next year. You don't want to go through the process as a reapplicant.
you're not setting yourself for success
most people need minimum from oct until june, and preferably start in august or september
not saying you don't have any chance at all, especially since we don't know your gpa/dat, but you have to also deal with graduation, moving home (?) etc...
Would it not be recommended to apply this year? I have a 3.95 GPA and decent volunteer + leadership experience. Also have 2 science LoRs.
I'm already taking a gap year so I feel discouraged about taking another. I'm not even sure what to do in my gap year(s).

Would it not be recommended to apply this year? I have a 3.95 GPA and decent volunteer + leadership experience. Also have 2 science LoRs.
I'm already taking a gap year so I feel discouraged about taking another. I'm not even sure what to do in my gap year(s).
you finished your sophomore year in may 2023 and are graduating may 2024?

have you written your personal statement? or at least have previous drafts?
have you looked at the aadsas application in the past and perhaps started to fill it out last year?

you finished your sophomore year in may 2023 and are graduating may 2024?
Yes, finishing BS in 3 years.

have you written your personal statement? or at least have previous drafts?
have you looked at the aadsas application in the past and perhaps started to fill it out last year?
No and no. Whoops.

It's not just about your grades. We have no description of your experiences. Your only contribution to SDN is about a C in organic chemistry. Where's your WAMC thread? Every admissions professional in dental school will tell you this (not just me).

You can either plan properly with your gap year or risk taking an unintended extra year trying to reapply if you do everything rushed and late. I don't even know if you asked your prehealth advisors if they do committee letters or letter packets.

No and no. Whoops.
when are you planning on doing PS?
when are you planning to fill out AADSAS?
do you know how long it takes to do both of them properly?

Honestly, you could still apply this upcoming cycle if you can finish everything by early August. For reference, this current cycle I ended up submitting everything (including secondaries) late September (this is very late...) with no committee letter (even though my school offered). Applied to 5 schools, had 3 post-dec interviews, and eventually 3 acceptances. Of course, you need to have solid stats, PS, shadowing, ECs, etc. I'd HIGHLY advise applying strategically (i.e., apply to IS and friendly OOS schools). If you can do great on your DAT then I believe you have a good chance.

As with what others have said, please don't rush to complete your application. It's certainly better to take a gap year to strengthen your application and apply next cycle than to rush your app, stress about waiting for an acceptance, not getting one, and having to reapply.