1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How high were your interview expenses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by rivatnt, Dec 15, 2005.

1. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have my first interview and I have to fly across the US. The hotel and plane is $400. I didn't apply to that many schools. But the schools are all far from the airport too.

I heard some med schools pay for all this stuff. Wow.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TrojanAnteater

TrojanAnteater Fight On
    10+ Year Member

Hm... 3 Interviews......... about $30 of gas.

4. JordanP

JordanP Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hey- Expenses will pile up, I will tell you that much. I am from Florida, and when I went to Shenandoah in VA, the whole trip cost about $500, the taxi was $80 each way from the nearest airport! When I went to Mercer, the trip cost about $400.

It is is expensive, but it is worth every penny, because it gives you more choices.

Good Luck!

5. tennismn

tennismn Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'd have to disagree about medical schools paying for your travels. When I was flying around the country interviewing at medical schools four years ago, I only had two of the six cover some of the cost. In one case, it was only because I was there for the minority weekend, and they covered our meals.

Med applicants have to pay the same travel costs as the rest of us.

6. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I was only interested in going to one school and it was within driving distance, so I spent about $150 between hotel/gas/food etc.

7. blueclassring

blueclassring Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    i have an interview this monday. flight cost me $160. rental car will cost me $70. hotel will cost me $100. food about $50. I estimate about $300 for this trip. i've already spent about $150 interview for one school. it starts to add up.

8. calrx

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're not alone... it really is super expensive. I drove to my 1st interview so I only spent around $200 (with hotel/gas/food). For my 2nd interview I had to fly so the trip was much more expensive. I spent roughly $400-$450. If you have to fly you can pretty much count on your trip being a few hundred dollars. :smuggrin:

I was looking on the MCAT forum and there was a thread where people posted how much they think the whole application & interview process is costing them. The ranges were from $1,000-almost $8,000 (depending on the number of applications sent and interviews the person had). That could be an interesting thread to start here... I know I'm up to approx. $1,600 with PharmCAS fees, PCAT, supplementals, transcript requests, and 2 interview expenses. Geesh, I'm going to be POOR by the time I have to start school. :wow:

It's comforting to know that all of you are in the same boat though! :rolleyes:

9. ICA

ICA Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Don't forget about postage...

A few rushed Express Mail LOR's (@ $13.XX each), all correspondances sent via Priority Mail (@ $3.85 each), certified mail, delivery confirmation, insurance... Oi!

10. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Don't forget:
    Getting into Pharmacy School....PRICELESS....
    for everythink else...etc....

11. Fatpharm

Fatpharm Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I did early decission admissions to save a bunch of money! Even if you have good stats it is risky, but it saved me a lot. Luckily, I got accepted. I think I spent ~$350 on PCAT, application fees, and interviews because I got into the school near to where I live.

12. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm afraid to calculate what I've spent over the last two years when I include PharmCas, PCAT exam plus study guides/prep course, application fees, interview expenses (including $$$ for a suit) and finally tuition deposits.
    Of course in the end it's worth it! It is a little tight but I'm glad I finished everything and decided on a school before Christmas (there is no spare money this time of year!)
    One thing that will come back to you is that tuition deposit, at least that's X amount of dollars you won't have to pay in August. :) And try to think of your interview trips as mini vacations! Yay!

13. rivatnt

rivatnt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Does being a "student" lower the amount we should tip? I always wondered and I think I should know before I start doing my interviews.