How high were your interview expenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivatnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview and I have to fly across the US. The hotel and plane is $400. I didn't apply to that many schools. But the schools are all far from the airport too.

I heard some med schools pay for all this stuff. Wow.

Members don't see this ad.

rivatnt said:
I have my first interview and I have to fly across the US. The hotel and plane is $400. I didn't apply to that many schools. But the schools are all far from the airport too.

I heard some med schools pay for all these stuff. Wow.

Hm... 3 Interviews......... about $30 of gas.

Hey- Expenses will pile up, I will tell you that much. I am from Florida, and when I went to Shenandoah in VA, the whole trip cost about $500, the taxi was $80 each way from the nearest airport! When I went to Mercer, the trip cost about $400.

It is is expensive, but it is worth every penny, because it gives you more choices.

Good Luck!

rivatnt said:

I heard some med schools pay for all this stuff. Wow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to disagree about medical schools paying for your travels. When I was flying around the country interviewing at medical schools four years ago, I only had two of the six cover some of the cost. In one case, it was only because I was there for the minority weekend, and they covered our meals.

Med applicants have to pay the same travel costs as the rest of us.

I was only interested in going to one school and it was within driving distance, so I spent about $150 between hotel/gas/food etc.

i have an interview this monday. flight cost me $160. rental car will cost me $70. hotel will cost me $100. food about $50. I estimate about $300 for this trip. i've already spent about $150 interview for one school. it starts to add up.

You're not alone... it really is super expensive. I drove to my 1st interview so I only spent around $200 (with hotel/gas/food). For my 2nd interview I had to fly so the trip was much more expensive. I spent roughly $400-$450. If you have to fly you can pretty much count on your trip being a few hundred dollars. :smuggrin:

I was looking on the MCAT forum and there was a thread where people posted how much they think the whole application & interview process is costing them. The ranges were from $1,000-almost $8,000 (depending on the number of applications sent and interviews the person had). That could be an interesting thread to start here... I know I'm up to approx. $1,600 with PharmCAS fees, PCAT, supplementals, transcript requests, and 2 interview expenses. Geesh, I'm going to be POOR by the time I have to start school. :wow:

It's comforting to know that all of you are in the same boat though! :rolleyes:

Don't forget about postage...

A few rushed Express Mail LOR's (@ $13.XX each), all correspondances sent via Priority Mail (@ $3.85 each), certified mail, delivery confirmation, insurance... Oi!

Don't forget:
Getting into Pharmacy School....PRICELESS....
for everythink else...etc....

I did early decission admissions to save a bunch of money! Even if you have good stats it is risky, but it saved me a lot. Luckily, I got accepted. I think I spent ~$350 on PCAT, application fees, and interviews because I got into the school near to where I live.

I'm afraid to calculate what I've spent over the last two years when I include PharmCas, PCAT exam plus study guides/prep course, application fees, interview expenses (including $$$ for a suit) and finally tuition deposits.
Of course in the end it's worth it! It is a little tight but I'm glad I finished everything and decided on a school before Christmas (there is no spare money this time of year!)
One thing that will come back to you is that tuition deposit, at least that's X amount of dollars you won't have to pay in August. :) And try to think of your interview trips as mini vacations! Yay!

Does being a "student" lower the amount we should tip? I always wondered and I think I should know before I start doing my interviews.