How I earned an acceptance to a Top-25 Med School w/ 6 Simple Levers (Thank You SDN!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelMinhLe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Huge shout out to the SDN community!! There's a whole lot of information here but once you find the gold, you've found the gold.

Three years ago, I earned my white coat to my dream Top-25 medical school, UCLA, directly because of all that I learned from this pocket on the internet.⁣

And this community is still chugging along today! 👏👏👏⁣

The Premed Grind -- Are you familiar with it?⁣

I used to always feel lost and never felt like I was enough compared to other premeds. ⁣

Now, I’m one year away from my MD from my dream medical school. ⁣

Here’s how I did it with 6 Simple “Levers."⁣

4 years ago, I had been rejected from one of the most competitive clubs on campus — the Student Stroke Team. They had the most clout on campus, donning these engraved Patagonia sweaters... the same ones actual doctors wore!⁣

I'd end up being rejected by the Student Stroke Team 8 times, not to mention the 30+ shadowing emails and 50+ research emails I sent, only to never get a response.⁣

I felt anxious.⁣

Nervous.⁣

Like I was falling behind and that perhaps, my application didn't have enough substance.⁣

That I wasn't enough.⁣⁣

Just last month, I took the lead in the care of Mr. G. I saw him every morning, posed my very own plans to the senior resident, and participated in his entire surgery.⁣

Mr. G, unfortunately, passed away in the middle of November, but I will forever remember his valiant fight with metastatic cancer.⁣

We didn’t get him home to the son he wanted to make amends with or his lovely granddaughters who he never forgot. Yet, I still feel absolutely blessed that I had the opportunity to give him back weeks of quality, pain-free life.⁣

While we miss Mr. G dearly, this isn’t a sad story.⁣

It’s one to inspire the next generation of healthcare providers.⁣

Yes, becoming a doctor means you'll likely be a part of America's upper class.⁣

Yes, becoming a doctor means you'll earn the respect of folks who are amazed at how long your education took.⁣

Above all else, however, becoming a doctor means that **you really get to connect with other people** — *in ways that no one else can* — and help them through their most vulnerable times.⁣⁣

Getting here certainly wasn't easy, but there are real differences between Michael 7 years ago and Michael today.⁣

I started treating my medical school application completely differently. Here's what I did:⁣⁣

Step 1: Intimately understand EVERYTHING that goes onto the medical school application. I call them the Six Levers:⁣⁣

1. GPA⁣⁣

2. MCAT⁣⁣

3. Extracurricular Activities⁣⁣

4. Letters of Recommendation⁣⁣

5. School List⁣⁣

6. Personal Statement + Interviews⁣⁣

Step 2: Work backward from there to build out a 4-year plan ensuring that you optimize all 6 Levers by the time you plan on applying to medical school (e.g. hey, I need 2 Science LOR and 1 Non-Science LOR, which of these courses would be best to invest my time and energy into?)⁣⁣

Step 3. STOP trying to join all these hyper-competitive clubs, especially if you don't fully resonate with their mission.⁣

It is OKAY to not apply to the Student Stroke Team; you are better off investing your time in extracurricular activities that are true to your personal passions **(e.g. I referee'd IM basketball and I absolutely loved it — medical schools did as well!) ⁣**⁣

Again, thank you SDN. You certainly have a bad reputation amongst many premeds circles, but I'm hoping this is one push in the opposite direction. You have changed my life, giving me the opportunity to really make an impact serving these people.⁣

Every day, I grow more confident that I will eventually be trusted with caring for real patients.⁣

For any premed anywhere on your journey, stay true to yourself, know your medical school admissions fundamentals and remember your WHY.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
That is really cool, @MichaelMinhLe. Thank you for sharing your story. :) Good for you!

Thank you for sharing your story, but I noticed that the custom "med school chances quiz" on your website is a completely plagiarized WARS calculator...maybe you should provide proper credit for that?
There's a WARS credit at the end! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a WARS credit at the end! :)
It's great that you are trying to help other people through this process; however with respect, you copied the actual original GPA/MCAT graphic from WARS in addition to a verbatim copy-and-paste of the original WARS scoring instructions found [here] almost in its entirety. Did you get WedgeDawg's permission to copy their work in such a fashion on your website?

Either way, a brief 6 word credit to WARS at the very end of the quiz is a gross understatement. This is *Wedgedawg's* quiz, not yours, plain and simple. Taking credit for their work, as suggested by your stating "take *my* med school chances quiz" (emphasis mine), is both inappropriate and dishonest. At your stage in training, you should know better. Simply adding some fluff and importing it into a quiz generator does not make it 'yours'. Neither will changing some words here and there.

In general, we should all be very careful about passing off other people's work as our own, particularly when we stand to profit off their work. Careers have been ruined for plagiarism. And if your goal is to become a trusted advisor, your reputation, and every action, will matter. My suggestion would be to either i) create your own calculator/methodology, ii) simply refer people to WedgeDawg's original work (the calculator can be found [here]), and/or iii) give appropriate credit where it's due, i.e. refer to it as the WARS calculator on your website with a link to the original material (after obtaining permission from the real creator). Best of luck and just my thoughts.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Congratulations on your acceptance, but I highly recommend you delete your photo (assuming that's you) and change your SDN username to something anonymous. You don't want personal information like that out like that on a public forum that anybody could access.

e.g. maybe someone petty enough could literally just screenshot your photo and use your name to make a Twitter account and start posting all kinds of racist stuff. You don't want that kind of risk in a field like medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I checked out your website. If you're going to completely plagiarize a very popular school list calculator as a "medical school chance" calculator, at least immediately show people the results and credit WedgeDawg for it. Don't make me have to go through 2 emails to "join your community" and bait me into buying your consulting service using someone else's work that was designed as a free resource for students. Very sketchy.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Honestly a shameful work product you're putting out by plagiarizing the WARS calculator, passing it off onto your own, and forcing people to give you their email to find the results. Why should anyone trust you for med school consulting?

It's great that you are trying to help other people through this process; however with respect, you copied the actual original GPA/MCAT graphic from WARS in addition to a verbatim copy-and-paste of the original WARS scoring instructions found [here] almost in its entirety. Did you get WedgeDawg's permission to copy their work in such a fashion on your website?

Either way, a brief 6 word credit to WARS at the very end of the quiz is a gross understatement. This is *Wedgedawg's* quiz, not yours, plain and simple. Taking credit for their work, as suggested by your stating "take *my* med school chances quiz" (emphasis mine), is both inappropriate and dishonest. At your stage in training, you should know better. Simply adding some fluff and importing it into a quiz generator does not make it 'yours'. Neither will changing some words here and there.

In general, we should all be very careful about passing off other people's work as our own, particularly when we stand to profit off their work. Careers have been ruined for plagiarism. And if your goal is to become a trusted advisor, your reputation, and every action, will matter. My suggestion would be to either i) create your own calculator/methodology, ii) simply refer people to WedgeDawg's original work (the calculator can be found [here]), and/or iii) give appropriate credit where it's due, i.e. refer to it as the WARS calculator on your website with a link to the original material (after obtaining permission from the real creator). Best of luck and just my thoughts.
100% appreciate the time you put into this. This is completely fair and you’re right — his methodology deserves more respect than a short phrase at the end.

For all other folks, I’m not looking to get into a shouting contest. My first jerk reaction was to try and defend myself -- to shout back -- but that's completely inappropriate here. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'm certainly lacking internet common sense here with having a non-anonymous name and pictures of myself available on the internet. I had never been aware there exists this real dark side of the internet.

I apologize to anyone I offended. People have been penalized for much, much, less and I certainly need to take much more caution with my reputation.

My overall goal is to build a reputation as a trusted advisor. This is a huge step in the wrong direction.

Thank you so much Moko and you’re right — I should know better. This was something I made years ago and just left running indefinitely. That 100% does not excuse it, but I do appreciate it being brought to my attention. I thank you endlessly for caring enough to course correct me. I will do better!

The survey has been taken down while I develop my own methodology and now directly links to WedgeDawg's original content -- as it always should have. This was a shameful error on my end; I own up to the poor judgment in full force and look forward to having further opportunities to do right by myself and the overall community.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I apologize to anyone I offended. People have been penalized for much, much, less and I certainly need to take much more caution with my reputation.

The survey has been taken down while I develop my own methodology and now directly links to WedgeDawg's original content -- as it always should have. This was a shameful error on my end; I own up to the poor judgment in full force and look forward to having further opportunities to do right by myself and the overall community.
Thank you for your receptiveness and corrective actions. As the saying goes, "it’s not the failures that define us so much as how we respond". Your response here reveals much more about your character than the mistake itself. Best of luck with this endeavor and your medical training.

• Love
My overall goal is to build a reputation as a trusted advisor.
An admirable goal. Unfortunately this space is crowded with shady figures trying to cash in on would-be doctors.

At this point in my career I think I can give solid advice to premeds, but I've been directly involved in admissions for years and have read thousands of applications. Even then it's just an opinion, and individual mileage may vary. If you want to start down this path I suggest you investigate whether UCLA has student members on its admissions committee, and if so try to snag one of those spots. It will be illuminating.

Perhaps someone like @gonnif can give you some insight on how to get experience in the biz as an "outsider."

Reactions: 3 users
An admirable goal. Unfortunately this space is crowded with shady figures trying to cash in on would-be doctors.

At this point in my career I think I can give solid advice to premeds, but I've been directly involved in admissions for years and have read thousands of applications. Even then it's just an opinion, and individual mileage may vary. If you want to start down this path I suggest you investigate whether UCLA has student members on its admissions committee, and if so try to snag one of those spots. It will be illuminating.

Perhaps someone like @gonnif can give you some insight on how to get experience in the biz as an "outsider."
I appreciate the insight! I know residents often have the opportunity to interview folks and should I stay here, it's certainly an opportunity I won't pass on.

It is difficult to really get an accurate understanding of the admissions process, even if you've read thousands of applications because it's just one school/one committee's opinion. I hear you 100% on the varying individual mileage. I certainly am not foolish enough to believe for a second I know ANYTHING about medical school admissions, but I do think I know just a little more than an aspiring premed and I've found that many find that one-step-ahead knowledge to be relatable and actionable.

Appreciate the pointers Med Ed -- I'll try to get in contact with @gonnif!