General Admissions & OTCAS How I passed the NBCOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occupationalguy

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can tell you guys that the test absolutely sucked. I didn't study much (do not advise you to follow my awful plan of "trial running" the test the first time). I was wracked with guilt and nerves. The test definitely varies every time they administer it: sometimes it's more pediatric based, others more mental health based etc.

I will let you know what saved me: I requested and received double test taking time; my physician signed a document and I submitted it to NBCOT. I got my own private test taking room, and, double test taking time, and the ability to hide the timer so I don't worry about it ticking.

Link to request testing accommodations on the NBCOT:

NBCOT Online Exam Application | NBCOT

Those all helped me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Which study materials did you go with? (If any)

Reactions: 1 user
I paged through the therapyed book (thank God I didn't try to actually read it) - it was awful. There is a woman on youtube with explanations of subjects on the exam: She saved me, luckily the morning of the exam I viewed her explanations of commonly used assessments. Her name on youtube is OTmiri. Almost every one she explained was on my exam! I felt like God smiled on me. This is a link to OT Mir's youtube channel, here she is explaining the Allen Cognitive Levels:

I also utilized the online AOTA questions, anyone who wants mine can have them: I have a valid login for a year. I have no intention of using it again. You can also renew mine for like 1/2 the cost of buying it fresh. The exam was MUCH more like the online AOTA questions than the therapyed questions, there is also a book by Johnson that was pretty similar to the actual exam questions, contact me for info. I have the therapyed computer program questions as well.

I am a student of average intellect, if I could pass the exam with very little studying so can all of you. I had 8 hours instead of the usual 4 hours to take the exam. Instead of having the usual 1.5 min per question every other student taking the exam had, I had 3 minutes to meditate on each question. The additional time made a world of difference, I caught many mistakes that I made as I went through every question multiple times. None of my friends had that opportunity, in fact, one of my friends who failed did not answer the last 15 questions due to a lack of time. I know it seems like it is a million years away for all of you applying to programs: it's not. You'll be taking the exam in a blink. I strongly suggest to any of you who can request reasonable accommodations for extra test taking time from your university to DO IT. It saved me. You can get extra time for anything from migranes, anxiety, ADHD, etc. You just need a note from your doctor.

I slid by and received a 450 (the exact score needed to pass). If I didn't have double time I am rather certain I would have failed. If you don't get a separate room you end up in a big room full of people taking a variety of tests, getting up to go to the bathroom, coughing, the annoying clicking of the computer mice.

It's rather silly if you ask me, but the NBCOT requires a document from the person requesting additional time stating previous accommodations in your program, and if you can't document that you need a note from a MD. You'll be way better off if you actually just get the accommodations on file during your program. I'm pretty sure accommodations boosted my GPA as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Funny you post the video to ACLS, I just had my check-off for it about 20 minutes ago in class. I won't be taking it until the end of next summer so I have a way to go, but do you mean it's better to have documentation of the school giving you accommodations rather than your doctor? Or if I go to a doctor and get a script, I'll be good? I'm usually fine with in-school exams, but thinking back to the GRE, that was like racing against a ticking time-bomb.

Funny you post the video to ACLS, I just had my check-off for it about 20 minutes ago in class. I won't be taking it until the end of next summer so I have a way to go, but do you mean it's better to have documentation of the school giving you accommodations rather than your doctor? Or if I go to a doctor and get a script, I'll be good? I'm usually fine with in-school exams, but thinking back to the GRE, that was like racing against a ticking time-bomb.

If you want the sure shot way you get accommodations while in school. I'm perplexed by how many people think this is so hard to do. You get a separate test taking area, and extra exam time. Use it if you need it, don't if you don't. Having proof of this from your disability services office at your school helps you get these accommodations on the NBCOT. You can get these accommodations simply with a note from your doctor; although a diagnosis of ADHD helps as well.

I would Google the form, so you can see it. When you register for the NBCOT you should email them - ask for the accommodations - take it to your MD and have her/him check off the stuff, submit it, and bam you're set.

Reactions: 1 user
Re Study materials: AOTA questions were the MOST accurate as to what the test was like imho.