How I surprised myself with a 22 AA, 23 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys! Here is a breakdown of my experience and results from using DAT Bootcamp.

DAT scores vs Average Bootcamp practice test scores (self-calculated):
PAT: 23 21
QR: 24 19
RC: 21 23
BIO: 19 19
GC: 22 20
OC: 22 18
TS: 21 19
AA: 22 20

As you can see, lots of my Bootcamp practice test subscores were ~2 points lower than my real DAT subscores. This goes to show how well Bootcamp does at providing challenging material which made the real DAT feel like a breeze.

I studied over the course of my 12 week summer break. My plan was to use Dr. Ari’s 10 Week Study Schedule checklist and use the last 2 weeks for extra review. In reality, I fell behind. This caused a lot of added stress, and I do not recommend it haha. I kept having to remind myself that perfection is the enemy of good; my “perfect” study plan may not have been working out, but that didn’t mean whatever studying I was getting in wasn’t helping. I studied as much as I could every day and tried not to take off days so as not to fall further behind.

In the end, I was not able to finish everything (namely, the practice tests) from the Bootcamp checklist. However, I was able to complete all of the content videos/question banks and as well as a handful of individual practice test sections. Then, I used the last 10 days leading up to my DAT to take full length practice tests every other day, as suggested by the checklist. I believe taking these full-length tests truly helped me the most. They helped me build up stamina which significantly helped my brain not feel like complete mush by the end of my DAT.

If I could go back, I would have tried to take all of the practice tests offered by Bootcamp instead of focusing so much on the content videos and question banks. The actual DAT’s questions resembled Bootcamp practice tests’ questions so much that it is definitely the most efficient way to study.

SURVEY OF THE NATURAL SCIENCES: (arguably the most important subscore!)
Biology: Biology has always been a struggle for me due to my lack of solid foundation in understanding. I’m happy to say Bootcamp’s videos help build my foundation up to an adequate level of understanding needed for the DAT! The comprehensive High-Yield Biology Notes and Bootcamp mnemonics helped me tremendously. The only thing that I wish is that there was more consistency with the video lecturers, as they would rotate from chapter to chapter (I learned from some better than others.) Overall, the Bootcamp Bio practice tests felt equally as difficult as the real DAT.
General Chemistry: I have always enjoyed gen chem, but I can’t say I’ve ever fully understood its fundamental concepts. Bootcamp’s videos with Dr. Mike were the best thing to ever happen to me. He does such a great job at explaining everything you need to know for the DAT and leaves out anything that is outside of the scope of the test. Overall, the Bootcamp GC practice tests were more challenging than the real DAT.
Organic Chemistry: Despite being fresh off of a year of o chem, I definitely had some gaps in understanding that needed to be filled. Again, Dr. Mike’s videos were amazing and simplified things in a way that made studying this section much easier. Bootcamp also provides a Reaction Cheat Sheet that I used to create flashcards of main reactions. Overall, the Bootcamp OC practice tests were more challenging than the real DAT.

PERCEPTUAL ABILITY/PAT: (frustrating at first but becomes enjoyable with practice)
Bootcamp provides videos on how to approach each type of problem and also gives ENDLESS practice questions. Success in this section is almost entirely dependent on how much time you are willing to invest into practicing. Overall, the Bootcamp PAT practice tests were much more challenging and time-consuming than the real DAT.

READING COMPREHENSION: (straight-forward and detail oriented)
This was my only DAT subscore that was lower than my Bootcamp practice. I used the “Search and Destroy” method that Bootcamp recommended to read the questions and skim the passage for the answer. This worked well for me on all of my Bootcamp practice tests, despite having difficult and technical passages. Overall, the Bootcamp RC practice tests were more technical and time-consuming than the real DAT (but I still did not do amazing whoops).

QUANTITATIVE REASONING: (simple math presented in a confusing way)
Math was always my favorite subject– but I hadn’t taken a math class since high school, so I was definitely a little rusty. Bootcamp has good video explanations of practice problems, and they provide a formula cheat sheet (great to quick review during your lunch break of your DAT!) Overall, the Bootcamp QR practice tests were very similar in style but much more challenging and time-consuming than the real DAT.

If you're planning to take the DAT, I'd highly highly recommend using DAT Bootcamp as your only test prep source. And if you're convinced you won't do well on your test-- don't worry! I was too yet studying with Bootcamp helped me exceed all my expectations.

IMG_1300.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Very nice scores! Congratulations!

My scores were very similar back in the day, especially for the RC. Like you said, my practice scores were higher than my real. My DAT scores don't matter anymore because I am halfway done with dental school, but I still sometimes wonder how a 23 would look on my report had I gotten 1 more question right.. LOL.