How important are activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One thing I have been thinking about lately is how important are activities? Do grad schools really look at them, or not really. The reason I ask is that I don't have all that many activities, and those that I have are conservative in nature (College Republicans/Right to Life/working political campaigns). I realize that this may not be the best thing to put on an application given who will be reading my application, so I was planning on just leaving these activities off. Would this be a mistake? Do the applications even ask for activities, I don't even know? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the applications I filled out last year didn't ask anything about extra curricular activities. In the instances where I did mention activities, it was in three areas: research experience, clinical experience, and teaching experience. If you want to include these, the most likely places to put them would be your personal statement or your CV.

I would advise against including anything that might prejudice a prospective graduate advisor. Although the professors try to be fair, they are still human, and if the activities you include portray a mindset that is fundamentally different from theirs, that's going to color their decision.

I agree with darkwegmo.
None of the applications I've seen so far ask for activities other than research/clinical related ones. Unlike undergrad applications, I think you need to show that you are focused and committed to the field, not that you are a well-rounded student. Not that it would necessarily be a minus, of course. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend really not including those things unless they are relevant. And, in face, the conservative stuff might hurt you. One professor point blank asked at interview: "So I've heard you are a Republican." The interview went downhill from there, and I think we both realized the match wouldn't work out.

It seems amazing that that professor would know that first of all, but even more amazing that they would ask you that point blank. I guess if politics are that important with them, I wouldn't want to work with them anyways as I would rather work with people who care more about research or teaching.

I definitely won't mention it and literally have tried to hide it over the years just because it really doesn't matter in my mind. I am still compassionate, I just have a different political stance and I hope it won't bite me in the butt.

From what I understand, schools really don't care very much for other activities, unless they're related in at least some tangential way to what you're doing. I applied last year, and 3 of the schools I interviewed at made no mention at all of what I filled in. The 4th school (where I am now) seemed to be impressed with the fact that I have paramedic training, and I played it up as "clinical experience". Still, just from speaking to other people, extra-curricular stuff being useful seems to be the exception rather than the norm.