How important are extracurriculars when applying to derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that Step 1 score > Clerkship grades > LOR's > Research >>>>>>> EC's, but does that mean that EC's can more or less be discounted entirely? I'm finishing up M1 right now, and my main focus is preparing for boards. I am also working on a couple of derm-specific research projects, which will hopefully result in publications. However, my only EC so far is being a member of the derm interest group, which I hope to become a leader of in the future...Unlike many of my classmates, I have not taken part in any sort of service/volunteering, tutoring, student government, etc...Will lack of these sort of EC's be seen as a red flag on my application (provided that everything else is in order) ?

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that Step 1 score > Clerkship grades > LOR's > Research >>>>>>> EC's, but does that mean that EC's can more or less be discounted entirely? I'm finishing up M1 right now, and my main focus is preparing for boards. I am also working on a couple of derm-specific research projects, which will hopefully result in publications. However, my only EC so far is being a member of the derm interest group, which I hope to become a leader of in the future...Unlike many of my classmates, I have not taken part in any sort of service/volunteering, tutoring, student government, etc...Will lack of these sort of EC's be seen as a red flag on my application (provided that everything else is in order) ?

It won't be an issue. If there is something you are truly passionate about and want to pursue it as an EC activity, it's not going to hurt.

But for most of us, getting a high Step 1 score, being a great student clinically, getting great LORs, and participating in productive research will keep you plenty busy

Reactions: 1 users
I had no extracurriculars and was not in the derm interest group and yet scored over 25 interviews. The main things are Boards scores, grades, strong letters from respected academic derms, and research of some sort (ideally with publications). Presenting posters at meetings is helpful if you can't get a paper completed prior to applying. Extracurriculars beyond all this will mainly be a brief talking point during interviews but not much more than that.

Reactions: 1 users