How important are good LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iiddnn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm in a situation where although my letter writters did know me well, I'm not sure how good of a letter they wrote. I do know one of my letters writers wrote a really good one but I'm not sure of the other ones. What if they are not long enough or not showering me with enough praise. How bad is it to have 1 or 2 really good letters with 1 or 2 average ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Most LOR’s are generic, empty praise. As long as you don’t have any bad ones you’re fine.

I highly highly recommend getting to know at least one science professor and working with them for at least two years in various roles (student in their class, tutor for their class, student researcher for their lab, or any other way of working with the professor).

Don’t underestimate this.

Your application or more likely an interview invitation may come down to LORs (far fetched perhaps but weirder things have happened).

Get good letters from people that know you and can give good and positive insight into your character.