How important are honors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TorusTubarius

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm getting ready to send out my application next week, thought I'd run a quick question by you guys.

Overall I feel my application is pretty good but I didn't do very well in my clerkships, only 1 honors in peds. I was planning on just applying to 25-30 of the most competitive academic programs but now am getting second thoughts. Should I apply more broadly or to safety programs? Any thoughts?

My stats are:

Top 35 Medical School
Clerkships: Honors in peds, high pass in all other rotations (including neuro, IM)
Preclinical grades: All 1st time pass, our school is pass/fail
Class rank: near the middle
Step 1: 236
Step 2 CS: waiting for result
Step 2 CK: will be taking mid September
Research:
College: 3 publications (3rd/4th author) and 2 poster presentations (presented by someone else) that are neurology related
Medical school: 2 oral presentations and 1 poster presentation (not neurology related)
No extracurriculars

Thanks a lot!
 
Awesome thanks for the insight. Though for our school about honors is top 20%, pass is like bottom 10%, and high pass is all the rest.