How important are pre-clinical grades (GPA) for residency?

Started by Soogreat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Soogreat

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard pre-clinical grades are not that important since many medical schools have pass/fail system.

But what about for someone who goes to a graded DO med school with numerical grades/GPA?
Now that step 1 is pass/fail, are pre-clinical grades during 1st and 2nd years important for DO students? (except for super-competitive specialties like derm or ortho)

@Goro
I would really appreciate any and all advice. Thank you.
 
It really doesn't mean much.

Pre-clinical grades can affect your class rank though, which does play some role in matching (albeit not that much from what I read).