how important are researchs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ant8tran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year medical student. I heard that research looks very good, especially for competitive residencies. However, I have no experience in research in undergrad, and I have no clue how to get about. the question is, Can I do without if I decided to go allopathic residencies? or Emergency medicine ( I have not decided yet). How important is research?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

leave off the last s for savings...

It depends on the program/specialty, there is the charting outcomes report from the acgme or what not which gives you some hard data, there are plenty of people who get competitive residencies without research. Also see that PD survey on what factors are important to them. An allo rads pd on a different forum said you don't need research but they like to see a dedication to something whether it be research or community service in addition to your stellar academics.

Emergency is not research heavy. If you were instead to do radiation oncology, I'd say it is VERY important to not only do research but publish at least a few papers. Differs with every field....

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, the more competitive the residency, the more you'll need research. You will need research for most of the surgical subspecialties and other competitive fields like derm, radonc, and maybe anesthesia/rads.

Go take a look at the Charting Outcomes for the Match.