ocdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Some schools ask for a letter of rec from a DO, but some people say it's ok if it's from an MD. Is this true? If so, does it have to be an MD you've shadowed or can it be from say a Research P.I. that has an MD and PhD?

Xclone

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
ocdoc said:
Some schools ask for a letter of rec from a DO, but some people say it's ok if it's from an MD. Is this true? If so, does it have to be an MD you've shadowed or can it be from say a Research P.I. that has an MD and PhD?

I just worked for a MD as a medical assistant for 3 summers. Apparently, that was good enough for them. I had no letters from a DO. I never knew a DO but I had an interest in osteopathy. Of course, I suggest you have some sort of involvement with a DO.

Boner

I just blue myself
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Personally, I would urge you to have a letter from a DO that you've shadowed. It shows that you've had contact and exposure to osteopathic medicine. From what I've heard, the only reason you should have an MD letter in place of a DO letter is if the MD knows you very well and can speak of your qualifications moreso than a DO, or if there are absolutely no DOs in your area. Either way, you should try your absolute best to shadow a DO to gain first hand exposure to the profession and have him/her write you a letter of rec. If I were on an adcom, I would be a bit suspicious if you didn't have a letter of rec from a DO. My two cents.

About the Ads

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
ocdoc said:
Some schools REQUIRE a letter from a DO. This means that you will be automatically denied admission if you don't have it.

I don't have the list of schools, but my school, OSU-COM requires it.

You don't have to shadow someone to get a letter of recommendation. This is a common misconception.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
ocdoc said:
It's true, some schools don't require a DO letter. But, if I were on the admissions committee of a DO school and had to make a choice between two people-- one with a DO letter and one who never bothered to take the time out of of his/her busy schedule to get a DO letter-- which one do you think that I would choose?

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
Between Michigan & Massachusetts
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc08 said:
Some schools REQUIRE a letter from a DO. This means that you will be automatically denied admission if you don't have it.

You don't have to shadow someone to get a letter of recommendation. This is a common misconception.
Why would I want someone who I hadn't shadowed or worked with to write a letter for me? How good could it be?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Orthodoc40 said:
Why would I want someone who I hadn't shadowed or worked with to write a letter for me? How good could it be?
Mine was from a Boy Scout leader in my troop.

Another one was from the medical director of my EMS agency.

Both were physicians.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Orthodoc40 said:
I could not find a single DO that would allow me to shadow them. Instead I looked up the AOA officers and found one in the greater DC area. He agreed to meet with me to interview me. I sent him my personal essay and a few of my secondary essays. He meet with me and talked to me for an hour and then agreed to write my letter for me. This was just fine to get into a DO school.

I would encourage all of us to remember just how hard in some areas of the country to find a DO to shadow and when are are DOs to allow students to shadow us. Also make sure your staff knows this so the students dont get told no by your office staff.

drwannabe44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OSUdoc08 said:

I don't have the list of schools, but my school, OSU-COM requires it.

should i ask them to just interview me instead of shadowing them ?

maxhealth

Langendorff Land
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
CT
Status
Medical Student
ocdoc said:
I got into AZCOM, CCOM, WesternU/COMP and TUCOM-CA with MD LORs. They didn't even ask why I didn't have a DO letter. I did, however, call each admissions office first and explain to them that I didn't know any DOs well enough to ask them to write me a letter. They advised me to get one from a MD who knew me well instead.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
drwannabe44 said:
should i ask them to just interview me instead of shadowing them ?
Shadowing would be better, I would think, but if they are not available, that could be an alternate solution.

About the Ads