How Important is a PM&R Rec. Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubocurare

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am applying to PM&R programs this year and I know having a PM&R recommendation letter is great but due to my school's schedule I am not able to schedule any PM&R rotations until november and thus will not be able to get a PM&R letter in before the deadline. I'm an otherwise well rounded candidate. How much of a disadvantage will this be. Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

That's unfortunate. If I were on the committee that gives out interviews, I would wonder how you arrived to your decision to pursue PM&R? On the other hand, I doubt they look at the content of these LORs until closer to rank time, so if you get them in before that, you might be okay.

Did you interact with any physiatrists during your medical schooling? How do you know you want to do PM&R? Who are you getting your LORs from?

If you were or are applying to two specialties and PM&R is a back up and therefore all your LORs are from the other specialty (which I have seen - 3 LORs from Opthalmologists, CV full of Opthalmology research, etc.) then you are going to have a rough time.

Do you have an advisor/mentor? Any contacts at PM&R residency programs?

It really is difficult to answer your question without knowing the full picture. pm me if you'd like

let me tell you they are pretty important... a lot of my applications were on hold when i called the programs because my pm&r letter was not in.. i even did a rotation and honored in it, but the guy i asked to write my letter never ended up writing the letter... even though he kept saying he would... but thats another story... point is, get a letter if u can