How important is a programs reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is the reputation of a residency program for fellowship match and future employment opportunities? As of right now I'll most likely pursue an academic position (I really want to teach) and I'll more likely than not pursue a fellowship (I think retina is amazing, but who knows). The reason I'm asking is that I really liked a few places that didn't have as great of a reputation/name recognition, even more than a number of the big name places. I don't know how much weight to give to reputation in my decision-making process.

Members don't see this ad.

How important is the reputation of a residency program for fellowship match and future employment opportunities? As of right now I'll most likely pursue an academic position (I really want to teach) and I'll more likely than not pursue a fellowship (I think retina is amazing, but who knows). The reason I'm asking is that I really liked a few places that didn't have as great of a reputation/name recognition, even more than a number of the big name places. I don't know how much weight to give to reputation in my decision-making process.

The reputation of the residency program is important for fellowship matching and academic jobs. Fellowship directors sometimes regard their protege like prize dogs, and like to boast when they are from a well-known "kennel." The same people who are fellowship directors are likely involved in the hiring of academic docs as well.

In private practice, it almost has no bearing on future employment. No one cares if you went to XYZ university if you are a terrible surgeon or an a-hole to the practice's patients. I don't think I've ever heard a patient remark on where I trained or where I went to med school. However, the patients definitely have remarked on my or other doc's bedside manner and professionalism or their results after surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user