How important is class rank for psychiatry residencies?

Started by kdog024
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdog024

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how important is class rank for psych residencies. I am pretty sure that I will end up in the bottom half of the class. My school divides by quartiles, so there is a risk that I may be in the last quartile. Should I be worried about my chances of matching, or can I make it up with my step score and extracurriculars.

P.S. I am a MS1 whose class rank is only based off the preclinical years.
 
I think MS 1-2 class rank ends up being quite low on the list of things programs care about. Your clinical year grades (MS 3-4), however, are one of the most important parts of your application. Just try to do your best from here. Work very hard for honors in psychiatry, and try for the best grades you can get especially in the core clerkships.

If you are thinking of going to one of the most competitive programs the applicants have become so impressive that even MS 1-2 grades might play a meaningful role. Other than that, I don't think it will be a major issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.