How important is IM Residency Choice (top 20 programs) for cards matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RhinB

PGY3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS4 here, deciding on where to rank IM programs.

Really struggling between big name programs like Columbia vs. less prestige but still sends people to great programs like BIDMC.

I know Columbia is better overall, but does it really make a difference in the long run? I'm interested in some outcomes research opportunities as well if that makes a difference.

In addition, does anyone have experience with going from Boston IM to NYC fellowship or vice versa? My initial impression is that it's easier from Boston to NY than NY to Boston but that may simply be limited by the number of fellowship spots.

Appreciate any advice!!! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
between columbia and bidmc, you'll be fine. it matters going to a strong program, but at a certain level (eg top 30-40), the benefit is marginal. if you think you'd be happier at bidmc, go for it. if you were looking at columbia vs something like SIU, then the choice is obvious.

Columbia IM residency is the golden ticket to the top tier NYC fellowships if that’s what you ultimately want.

Between those 2 programs, barely a lick of difference, both are well regarded. But if the goal is the do fellowship in NYC or eventually work there, I'd lean Columbia. It seems they take a lot of their own, though I also know handful of BI folks that ended up in NYC programs too. Certainly gut feel and personal interests are factors too.