How important is it to rotate where you want to match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubocurare

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what percentage of people matching at each program rotated through there? What are my chances of matching into lets say the super six if i did not rotate there???
cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I recall last year reading a thread where a resident did an informal survey in their class to see how many had rotated as students at RIC, it was something like 1/2. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it is important to rotate through a program you are seriously considering. Assuming that you work hard and get along with everyone, it will only help your application. Also, if you rotate there, there will be no surprises and you will already know that the program is a good fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my class - of the 12 of us, 4 are northwestern grads so they had to rotate through RIC - all opted to do 4wks instead of the 2 required weeks. Of the rest of us (8) - 2 rotated at RIC - 6 of us did not.

I think it can definitely help to rotate - but I have seen cases where it probably would have been better if they hadn't. If you know you have good people skills - then you should rotate. If not, let your application/numbers speak for itself.

I did rotate at 2 PM&R programs and I thought either one could be my first choice going into the match - so it's not like I chose NOT to rotate at my first choice. RIC just happened to become my first choice after the interview process. Also, I didn't have the $$ to find housing and transportation to get to Chicago.

I'm the only one in my class that rotated here as a student. Last year's match had two, and our current PGY2s had three (but one of them was a UMich med student).

If you do a good job, though, it really does help come decision time.

Of all of those I know who matched last year, most people didn't rotate at the program they matched into. It's certainly not a requirement, but it did help me to decide where I felt I "fit in" best. No matter where you rotate, you're bound to run into someone who knows someone at the program you match into... it's a pretty small community. Remember that if you're interested in fellowships, rotations at other programs may be helpful later on as well.

Remember to have fun in this process... internship is just around the corner :thumbdown: :D

Of all of those I know who matched last year, most people didn't rotate at the program they matched into. It's certainly not a requirement, but it did help me to decide where I felt I "fit in" best. No matter where you rotate, you're bound to run into someone who knows someone at the program you match into... it's a pretty small community. Remember that if you're interested in fellowships, rotations at other programs may be helpful later on as well.

Remember to have fun in this process... internship is just around the corner :thumbdown: :D

I think it was more like we didn't scare you off. :laugh:

I'm the only one in my class that rotated here as a student. Last year's match had two, and our current PGY2s had three (but one of them was a UMich med student).

If you do a good job, though, it really does help come decision time.

I was senior to Finally M3 at UofM and can tell you that his rotation prior to applying to the program VERY much helped him. Don't get me wrong, he looked really good on paper but during rotation he worked very hard and made multiple very good impressions. He was heavily recruited as a result.

On the other hand, I personally rotated at RIC and blew my chances there because of that. My father had just been diagnosed with lymphoma, lived in Michigan, and was dying quickly...really affected my performance and the attending I was working under at RIC did not care too much about my family situation. Long story short, that blew things for me there. I'm usually able to prevent my outside life from affecting my professional performance but not something as major as this was...

I'm very happy I ended up at UofM however so don't get me wrong, I was still lucky.

Just keep in mind that rotating can be a double edged sword.