How important is it to submit ERAS on July 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggiesmall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe D.O. programs can begin to download ERAS applications starting on July 15th. How important is it to have your application complete by then to be downloaded? I have my ERAS application filled out, I am working on my Personal Statement, and only have some of my letters submitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Finally... a meaningful discussion.. I'd like to add how much information is supposed to go in those description blocks for our various experiences....

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not as important as say medical school but the earlier the better. You want to be in that first round of applicants they review. So get your app in by the first week. It doesn't have to be absolutely complete (ie you can be waiting on a LOR or two).

Do it sooner rather than later, especially if you're applying to ACGME programs. I had mine submitted the day it opened.

Do we have to contact NBOME/NBME individually to get our scores released to ERAS?

OK, somebody clarify something for me... what the hell does July 15th have to do with anything??? Your apps aren't released until September 15th (well for MD residencies, not sure about DO) so what difference does it make if your app is in July 15th or not if the apps aren't even going to be released to residencies until September?? Or is this just a DO residency issue and ACGME residency applicants don't have to worry til September?

**Nevermind... just looked and it's a DO residency only thing... ACGME download isn't til September

Yeah. Basically you want to have it submitted the first day you are able to for either side (respectively).

Yeah. Basically you want to have it submitted the first day you are able to for either side (respectively).

Yeah, got that but all this talk about July 15th got me a little skittish cuz I thought that might somehow apply to MD/ACGME residencies as well but now I got it... freaked for a second cuz I thought I had 2 months left but found out it opens tomorrow but luckily that's not the case (I'm appling MD only obviously so DO deadline doesn't matter). :)

Along these same lines... does anyone know when most DO residencies start sending out interview invites?

It's unclear to me how the letter of recommendation selection works. Do we have to specify all the letter writers before submitting the application? It seems that they can't be changed after submitting, but can we add letter writers later?

It's unclear to me how the letter of recommendation selection works. Do we have to specify all the letter writers before submitting the application? It seems that they can't be changed after submitting, but can we add letter writers later?

you can add letters to ERAS at any point and you can send letters (up to 4) to any program at any point but once they are sent they cannot be taken back or changed.