How important is Med School Tier when matching into PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the top 6 programs. Obviously RIC is at the top. I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm trying to figure out where to research this more.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the top 6 programs. Obviously RIC is at the top. I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm trying to figure out where to research this more.

"The Super Six"
RIC, Kessler , U of Washington, Spaulding, Baylor Houston, Mayo

MSIII going on MSIV here. :) I am going into PM&R next year. From what I understand and the research I've done into the field and into residency application (including an early elective clerkship), the idea of the "super six" is a little misleading, because there's a few programs that are on par with those six; most programs have their strengths and weaknesses...

From what I've heard, University of Michigan, Thomas Jefferson, U of Pitt, U of Colorado, and Ohio State are of a similar ilk in reputation and education to the so-called "Super Six." Additionally, Mt. Sinai and Cornell-Columbia might not be as highly reputed at those listed programs, but aren't more than a small notch below.

Of course, this is just the opinion of an MSIII and hearsay. I'd love to hear what others think on the topic.

-savealife

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched at RIC and I have to say that the tier/name of my school probably didn't matter very much. My school changed it's name not once, but TWICE, during my four years there so a lot of programs didn't know what my school's name even was. My board scores were average for PM&R. I think what did matter, for me anyways, was a personal statement that showed my passion for PM&R, good LOR'S (or so I've been told), and extracurricular involvement. The most important thing to remember is that med school can be rough whether you're at a big name school or a place no one's ever heard of, so go to the place that will make you happy. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents because it seems that we are on the reductionistic path of saying that top tier either matters or it doesn't. I believe it helps a little, not as much as in plastic surgery but it does a little. I also believe board scores mean more in the field of PM&R than being in a top tier school. This means that a person with a 230 from medical school #99 will beat the Ivy person with a 215, all else being equal (which of course is never the case). On the other hand if they both had the same score, the Ivy person would have it, all else being equal.

There are a lot of discussions about USMLE scores and name brand schools and this and that. I believe that these are just small components of a bigger picture. Whatever medical school you're at, you have an excellent shot at getting the spot you want in PM&R. Just do your best on the USMLE, clinical rotations, auditions, LORs, etc., and put together the best package you possibly can, and that's all you can do.

The RIC roster says a lot and it should be an inspiration, on the other hand their average Step 1 scores may be discouraging, but remember there are other areas that you can beef up your application. And in the end if you don't end up at RIC or Kessler or wherever, who cares. There are many solid programs out there, and unlike finding a spouse, you can fall in love with several of them. Best of luck.

I think all else being equal, the letters of recs mean a lot - I talked to a pain fellowship director the other day who said that's one of the first things he looks at - because no one wants to have a resident or fellow who can't get along with others. If you didn't rotate at the program, the letters of recs, the interview itself, and evaluations from 3rd and 4th years of med school are the only ways to gauge someone's personality. If the PD or fellowship director happens to know the letter writer, that's even better. For example, if you rotated at RIC and got a letter of rec from Dr. Sliwa - I would think most PDs would put a lot of weight into what's said in the letter.

Board scores, grades, and schools also matter and the "average" board score on the NRMP report does NOT apply to the better programs in the country. in my class alone there are at least 3 AOAs that I know of and there's at least 1 per class from a "name" program like Harvard, Duke, U of C, etc. And there are also people like me - average in everyway in terms of numbers but I like to think my sparkling personailty made a difference on interview day :laugh:

Bionic man is right, in the end, you have to do what makes you happy. focus on what you can change and try to build a good package to compensate for any shortcomings beyond your control. :luck: