How important is my AI grade ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishiningstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to see how important it is to get a good grade in my Obgyn AI at home? How great are you expected to be on the L&D (like in delivering and stuff) in the beginning of 4th year ?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically how you perform has a big influence on how you’re viewed at that program, that’s why AIs are considered a gamble if you do an away. A home AI has just as a high a stake, unless you don’t really want to stay at home program. The catch this year is COVID, since home AIs willl be the only AI most people have so the importance is relatively increased. There’s not an expectation that you have a all the skills necessary to be a competent obstetrician just a kind and conscientious person. So you need to be seen as helping out, pitching in on triage, often doing stuff you know needs to get done but someone does not explicitly ask you to do it.

Typically how you perform has a big influence on how you’re viewed at that program, that’s why AIs are considered a gamble if you do an away. A home AI has just as a high a stake, unless you don’t really want to stay at home program. The catch this year is COVID, since home AIs willl be the only AI most people have so the importance is relatively increased. There’s not an expectation that you have a all the skills necessary to be a competent obstetrician just a kind and conscientious person. So you need to be seen as helping out, pitching in on triage, often doing stuff you know needs to get done but someone does not explicitly ask you to do it.
Thank you so much! That’s what I had heard and I have been doing all of that. I have been able to deliver the placenta. However I had a resident tell me that I should be pushing myself and doing more during delivery even when an attending is in the middle of it which was kind of conflicting with the advice I had been given before. I obviously don’t feel confident enough to take over in that manner.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one feels confident as MS in the middle of a delivery. The best way I could recommmend is to ask attending or resident ahead of time if you could do a delivery. They might say no for a variety of reasons (complication anticipated, need for operative delivery, patient comfort, resident needs to do delivery to get numbers) but most often for an uncomplicated delivery an AI is able to do it.

No one feels confident as MS in the middle of a delivery. The best way I could recommmend is to ask attending or resident ahead of time if you could do a delivery. They might say no for a variety of reasons (complication anticipated, need for operative delivery, patient comfort, resident needs to do delivery to get numbers) but most often for an uncomplicated delivery an AI is able to do it.
Got it, thank you so much for your advice!

I am doing my first AI in a month. What does this mean that someone does not explicitly ask you to do it? How do you know there are triages? How will you know what needs to be done? Do you ask them if they need help with something specific?

You’ll get the hang of it if you pay attentions. I haven’t done OB in many years so take this with a grain of salt but basically most triagers that are coming with no prenatal care and patients coming in for labor need a bedside US, so if you’re free and you hear there’s a triage patient or laboring patient Being admitted Stand up and say “I’ll get the US machine”, knowing when things need to be done comes from being present and paying attention during rounds, make a checklist of things that need to be done for each patient, things that you can do include following up on test results, maybe calling a consult (check if it’s ok for you to call, it’s definitely within the realm of AI but some people are picky about this), making sure fluids or infusion s are starte, writing the admission H&P. Normally you’re the first person a triage comes to, where I trained there’s a flag raised in each occupied bed, keep your eyes peeled. Nothing looks better then when a resident says “oh this patient needs to be seen” and you say “I already saw them, here’s what their here for”. You should be able to figure things out within your first week on an AI, especially having already done OBGyn