How is the laborist model?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metamorphosis.DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
starting recognize my interest in higher acuity medicine while still in love with OBG. Wondering more and more about the laborist model. Wondering what experiences people have had? How it compares to traditional models in terms of life style being shift work without call. is it worth it? my biggest concern would be losing continuity of care which is so important to me. Though that may change as time goes on and I continue in my education. compensation?

wondering if getting into laborist too soon may jeopardize some of the gynecology-related things if I wanted to go back to outpatient later on? Would I be playing catch up with thinns like IUD placements, infertility treatment, menopause, screenings? etc?

Members don't see this ad.

starting recognize my interest in higher acuity medicine while still in love with OBG. Wondering more and more about the laborist model. Wondering what experiences people have had? How it compares to traditional models in terms of life style being shift work without call. is it worth it? my biggest concern would be losing continuity of care which is so important to me. Though that may change as time goes on and I continue in my education. compensation?

wondering if getting into laborist too soon may jeopardize some of the gynecology-related things if I wanted to go back to outpatient later on? Would I be playing catch up with thinns like IUD placements, infertility treatment, menopause, screenings? etc?

The model varies.

If you work for one of the recruiting companies, they will farm you out across the country to various POS hospitals that need coverage.

You can try to find a job with a health system and be a laborist as well.

Typically 6 to 8 shifts a month is full time.

Usually cover unassigned patients (think drug addicts coming in labor, etc) , assist on sections, and possibly ER coverage for your random pelvic mass, ectopic, torsion etc.

The lifestyle is whatever since you will be working nights. That is a grind and not good for you physically.

There are numerous studies indicating that night shift is associated with increased risk of heart attack and cancer etc.

You will lose some of your GYn operative skills like vaginal hysterectomy etc and probably laparoscopic hysterectomy.

You will do the occasional c hyst.

GYN will usually be laparoscopy for torsion or ectopic and sometimes laparotomy.

You will do a fair amount of D+Cs for missed abortions etc.

Iud stuff isn't that hard.

I didn't do it for 3 years during fellowship but do them at times in practice. It's not hard.

Reactions: 1 user

It’s glorious! I work 24 hr shifts. I make the same as I made in private practice. I have a great lifestyle. You have to be very disciplined about sleep and taking care of yourself, but I had less sleep in private practice (experiences will vary). I will never go back. That being said, it’s tough to do it straight out of residency. I would recommend 2-3 years of private practice plus finishing oral boards before making the jump. Some of your Gyn skills will wane, and going back to generalist will be difficult. You would likely have to have a proctor on cases for a bit so the hospital can be sure you have the skill if you went back. I have been an OB Hospitalist for the past 4 years. I love acuity and hate office. It’s a match made in heaven for me.

Reactions: 1 users