soul21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I am planing on having all my prereqs done except for organic 2 when I take the MCAT. Is this going to seriously hurt my chances of doing well on the MCAT? I do plan on taking a Kalplan course during the spring semester so hopefully that will help. What do you guys think?

Brookstacular

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
While I haven't taken the MCAT, I have finished Organic Chemistry. For us, the second half of Ochem was learning mechanisms and reactions with some emphasis on sugars and polymers. I don't know that you'll necessarily learn much from the second part of OChem that is pertinent to the MCAT but I will definitely say that without it, your skills will be pretty far behind because of all the practice that you are missing out on. The concepts might have been rehashed a bit in Organic 2 but without them, I don't know that I would have understood most of it as well. To give this some credibility, I scored in the top 13% in the nation in OChem as I'm sure many of the premeds who took the ACS exam did so I promise I'm not just blowing smoke.

MahSpoon

is TOOOOO big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Brookstacular said:
I scored in the top 13% in the nation in OChem
Just wondering...is this based on some national ochem test I've never heard of or extrapolated from an MCAT score? :confused:

MahSpoon

is TOOOOO big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Ahh ok, I've never heard of the ACS exam and I did 3 quarters of university level o-chem. What is this test for, to join the society? My 30 seconds on the website didn't give me the answer easily. :p

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I had two ochem passages on the april mcat and they were both about ochem 2 information (esterification and glucose). Without ochem 2, I doubt I would have gotten any of those questions right.

theunremarkable

MS2
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
most of the ochem that's on the mcat is ochem 2 (mechanisms and reactions).