How important is pharmacy experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PicardEngage

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How highly do admissions at pharmacy schools weigh actual pharmacy experience? I'm thinking over a year as a Certified Pharmacy Technician in a retail pharmacy certainly can't hurt one's application, but does it really help it that much?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have over a year in a retail pharmacy as a pharmacy technician.

That is definitely good for your app and it WILL matter because of your GPA- I read in the other post it is 2.98? So, yes, the experience "offset" your lower GPA. Many schools have a 3.0 GPA "cut off" and others have lower ones (like 2.5 for Midwestern).
 
Pharmacy experience is good for
A. Admission, especially interviews
B. Being confident in your career choice
C. Pharmacy school in general, because you'll know something about the practice of pharmacy
D. Having direction both during pharmacy school and after you graduate
 
Then again, a 4.0 and a 90 PCAT won't guarantee you anything. A 4.0 and a 90 PCAT with no other brush-up factors just says, "Study hog" with nothing else going on. Granted, the line gets muddled, but I don't think you can just say, "If you have a 4.0 and a 90 PCAT, you don't need experience" because I highly, highly doubt if every 4.0/90 case gets in to every school they apply to, just based on their sterling academics.

@ OP - 1 year exp. is solid. Maybe some Red Cross volunteering... That'd also help a lot.
 
I'm also doing undergraduate research in a molecular biology lab here on campus. I hope that helps!
 
like applying to any school. You just needs to be well rounded with just about everything. I say just be realistic with school choices once it comes to that point because some schools are more competitive than others. Just be realistic cause I learned that this cycle.

Pharmacy experience shows that you understand a part of Pharmacy. So just be realistic and be well rounded.
 
I feel like a noob asking this, but I'm sort of a late bloomer. How competitive are University of Tennessee and Butler?

I'm sort of assuming Midwestern-Downers Grove is less competitive because it is private and more expensive. I'm also assuming Chicago State University is less competitive because its not yet accredited.

What are the chances that it is NOT accredited?
 
How can you make a career choice to be a pharmacist if you have no experience?


Quite simply, if you are familiar with the field and know this is exactly what you want to do. You can also get interviews pretty much everywhere you want without it as well if you are a stellar applicant otherwise.

Pharmacy experience is extremely important, but I wouldn't disregard the applicants who have little to none experience or make them think it's the end of it all. You have to remember that people come from different backgrounds and while they may not have had direct experience in the pharmacy setting, they could have had alternative patient care experiences that motivated them to look into pharmacy. Or they worked for a pharmaceutical research company and got interested in pursuing a Pharm.D to continue clinical research.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad