HOW IMPORTANT IS RESEARCH - HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted978819

Hi guys, would really like anyones input (especially those who have gotten in or are familiar with the process)
I'm unsure about whether to build my profile for a year or apply this cycle.
My main problem is NO research - which I can try to do this year but it's very hard to find something

Are there schools that weigh heavily on research?

BDS GPA: 3.6/3.8
NBDE 1/2 first attempt
Toefl 112
working as a DA for less than a year (presently working)
dental related volunteer work
a few CE courses
again ZERO research
US citizen

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, would really like anyones input (especially those who have gotten in or are familiar with the process)
My main problem is NO research - which I can try to do this year but it's very hard to find something

NBDE 1/2 first attempt
Toefl 112
a few CE courses
again ZERO research
US citizen
Which country are you from? It depends on that too!

not asking my chances to get in, just asking how relevant research is if other aspects of your profile are okay?
or are there schools that consider research more important than others

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
not asking my chances to get in, just asking how relevant research is if other aspects of your profile are okay?
or are there schools that consider research more important than others
I'm not sure about your context of "Research" here. Research is definitely good in all cases but based on other discussions and feedback, it looks like research has more weight if you are applying for a graduate degree/master/specialty but not as much if you are applying for international DDS.
Your stats look good the way they are and I would seek a dental degree/master/residency to strengthen my application rather than getting involved in a research project. My $0.02.
Best Wishes!

I'm not sure about your context of "Research" here. Research is definitely good in all cases but based on other discussions and feedback, it looks like research has more weight if you are applying for a graduate degree/master/specialty but not as much if you are applying for international DDS.
Your stats look good the way they are and I would seek a dental degree/master/residency to strengthen my application rather than getting involved in a research project. My $0.02.
Best Wishes!
A residency to strengthen my application for IDP? What would be the purpose of doing IDP after a residency? I see what you're saying about masters (although I feel I should try to apply without a masters first as thats a lot of money and ive most seen it help people with lower GPAs) but how would getting a dental degree(? not sure what you mean here) or speciality strengthen my IDP application? Can you please explain. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!!

A residency to strengthen my application for IDP? What would be the purpose of doing IDP after a residency? I see what you're saying about masters (although I feel I should try to apply without a masters first as thats a lot of money and ive most seen it help people with lower GPAs) but how would getting a dental degree(? not sure what you mean here) or speciality strengthen my IDP application? Can you please explain. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!!
As you know applying for IDP is generally very competitive and it depends on where you apply. Many - if not most - of the applicants to IDP complete a master's degree whether from the US or outside the US to strengthen their application. Some take residency at places that accept international dentists. Some get involved in research initiatives, etc.
To be picked for an interview, it does not only depend on your application but also on how competitive the other applicants are. Your chances are higher if you apply to a program/cycle and it happens that most of the other applicants don't hold a master's degree, low TOEFL scores, low GPA, or etc.
Your stats look good and I agree that you should apply now and to multiple IDP programs, but I also recommend having a backup plan to pursue a healthcare-related degree if you are not selected this time.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
As you know applying for IDP is generally very competitive and it depends on where you apply. Many - if not most - of the applicants to IDP complete a master's degree whether from the US or outside the US to strengthen their application. Some take residency at places that accept international dentists. Some get involved in research initiatives, etc.
To be picked for an interview, it does not only depend on your application but also on how competitive the other applicants are. Your chances are higher if you apply to a program/cycle and it happens that most of the other applicants don't hold a master's degree, low TOEFL scores, low GPA, or etc.
Your stats look good and I agree that you should apply now and to multiple IDP programs, but I also recommend having a backup plan to pursue a healthcare-related degree if you are not selected this time.
Good luck!
yes definitely competitive and getting in the first cycle is tough regardless of stats, was just confused by the dental degree/residency comment as that would allow you to practice in certain states anyway if you went that route. Just felt research is where im lacking in terms of the actual caapid app so don't know how heavily thats weighted if the rest of your app/sop is good! then again who knows haha. Thank you though I appreciate your help :)

NBDE 1/2 first attempt
Toefl 112
a few CE courses
again ZERO research
US citizen

Yes, they are of course. However, I don't think that research has a significant role in any acceptance. Unless, that programme is combined with a master or a doctorate. If you are going for the advance education "certificate", you should be fine. Same if you are pursuing the DDS through advanced standing.

Don't be scared. I think you will do well on your applications.

Yes, they are of course. However, I don't think that research has a significant role in any acceptance. Unless, that programme is combined with a master or a doctorate. If you are going for the advance education "certificate", you should be fine. Same if you are pursuing the DDS through advanced standing.

Don't be scared. I think you will do well on your applications.
Thank you so much, needed to hear this today. I've been trying for months but it's nearly impossible to find something as an international dentist in my area. I appreciate your input!