How important is research??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3.45 oGPA, 3.45 sGPA.
19/19/19 DAT.
about 600 hrs of dental assistant experience.
a few church volunteering and a few clubs involved within my college.
But the thing is, I don't have a research experience..

How much would not having a research experience hurt me?

Im applying to... NYU, Tufts, Boston, UMDNJ, and Temple.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was asked at NYU and Tufts why I didn't do any research. If you have a chance, try and do some, even if your not into it. It will strengthen your application, but is not essential.

I haven't done any research either - had a couple of interviews, and got into NYU. I wasn't asked about it at my interviews either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I tried talking about my research but interviewer wasn't all that interested.

I spoke with UoM a few days ago about this. If you don't know, UoM is HEAVY on reserach.... The lady told me that having research is not a requirement or not something heavily favored....

I dunno how far along I wanna believe that, I mean, UoM is known for how much funding they get for research

I agree, I think research is just the cherry on top. Big research universities would appreciate it more, while other dental schools realize that most dentists become dentists, not dental researchers. I think its important to first have job shadowing, ECs, and volunteering before stressing about research. I think that's the formula that will satisfy more schools.

But, yes, if you do have an opportunity to do it, DO IT! Definitely won't hurt your app.

docjae, research isn't necessary, and I would only pursue it if you were truly interested. Instead, I would definitely apply to more schools (I applied to only 5 with slightly higher GPA and same DAT and wasn't accepted). My second application cycle I applied to 15 schools and got 2 acceptances. Trust me, you want to do it right the first time and not try to save a couple bucks. If you want to really make sure you get in, you could retake the DAT as well. Good Luck!

i was asked about this extensively during interviews, but i feel reason why is because i put it into my personal statement, and research was the main (not only) EC activity of mine. i was also doing highly specific dental related research.

ive told this to several people who ask me about research and an application to any school, and i always say that only do research if you are INTERESTED in it. i feel like a superficial or shallow research is something that will not be weighed as heavily as a higher GPA/DAT score, especially if you are not interested in dental research during dental school or as a possible career after dental school.

i know its difficult for some people to do but being true to yourself and to your interests will show in your personal statement and during your interview. remember that these people do this for a living and can see right through someone who did or wants to talk about research they did just to ENHANCE their application.

do what your interested in! and good luck :)

. remember that these people do this for a living and can see right through someone who did or wants to talk about research they did just to ENHANCE their application.
Its cute that you have such faith in the interviewing process. I don't think that it is true that these people "do this for a living." I think at most schools its on a volunteer basis from the teachers. I wonder how many schools have "professional interviewers."

i hate research. Dont pretend to like research for the sake of getting an edge for dental school. Research sucks if your not into it and pretending can only get you so far.

Plus I really dont think it gives an applicant a whole lot of extra edge, in particular for private schools who arent research based

docjae, research isn't necessary, and I would only pursue it if you were truly interested. Instead, I would definitely apply to more schools (I applied to only 5 with slightly higher GPA and same DAT and wasn't accepted). My second application cycle I applied to 15 schools and got 2 acceptances. Trust me, you want to do it right the first time and not try to save a couple bucks. If you want to really make sure you get in, you could retake the DAT as well. Good Luck!

thanks a lot for the feedbacks.

hey um.. you did not get into any schools with a slight higher GPA than mine and same DAT??? I am kind of surprised....

Im planning to apply to.. UMDNJ, NYU, Tufts, Temple, Boston(which i've listed above) plus Columbia, VWC, USC, midwestern, western, Pittsburgh, Buffalo.

What schools did you get accepted to on your second try???
Did you do any research for your second try?

Did you retake DAT?

docjae..i have nearly identical profile. i think best way to improve your application is to retake dat.

docjae..i have nearly identical profile. i think best way to improve your application is to retake dat.

Well I've actually made up my DAT scores... because no one would answer my question if I say " what if i get 19/19/19... or somethinG"

So um...

well the problem is.. i am planning to take DAT around July 10th.. and what if i get 19/19/19..??

I can't retake DAT cause it will be tooo latee...

If research was necessary, it would be a requirement. I think it would look better to be well-rounded with other activities than to focus in on research. It definitely looks good if you can do it, though. I don't think it has to be in a hard science either. I know a few pre-med/pre-dent kids who have done research in psychology, for example.

I would try it to see if you like it. I thought I would dread research and basically only decided to do it for my resume, but I ended up loving it. If you don't like it, then you won't enjoy it or get much out of it, so there's no need to force it. And different schools look for different things. For example, Tufts is really big on community service, so they look for dedication to community service on your app.

These days, dental school is so competitive that it's really not a good idea to overlook the research aspect. And you definitely don't want to count yourself out of research-heavy schools because who knows where you'll want to go.

If anything, and you have nothing else to talk about during your interview because your academics aren't stellar, you can always talk about research. Or ask them about THEIR research., etc.

Spend a couple summers doing it rather than getting a summer job. It will look good on your resume and will give you an edge in dental school when you're looking to boost your resume with dental research in case you want to apply for PG programs. Researchers will appreciate that you can jump right into the lab and start doing stuff.