How important is the date you submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura Jean

Reaction score
Is it vital to submit on the first day or is a few days late okay?
I will be taking the MCAT this spring. If I take it on April 23, I will get my score on May 25. If I take it on May 1, then I will get my score on June 1. You can submit your AMCAS application starting on May 28. I would love the extra week to study, because my school (due to covid) is giving us April 29-30 off so I could use that time! However, I would be submitting my application on the 5th day, which is alarming to me...
Or should I submit before I get my MCAT? I'm going to apply no matter what my MCAT is, but I don't know what the process is like when you submit without your MCAT...

Members don't see this ad.

A few days won’t make much of a difference. If you really want to have your app enter the verification queue (who knows if it’ll take a long as it did this year), just submit it the day of to one school, and add more schools after you get your score. But quality is better than speed so take the time you need. 5 day difference will likely still get you verified before apps are sent out to schools.

Reactions: 1 user
How solid have your practice exams been? If you're confident you'll at least have a decent score and an overall strong application, apply EARLY! Applying early truly puts you at a massive advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking the MCAT this spring. If I take it on April 23, I will get my score on May 25. If I take it on May 1, then I will get my score on June 1. You can submit your AMCAS application starting on May 28. I would love the extra week to study, because my school (due to covid) is giving us April 29-30 off so I could use that time! However, I would be submitting my application on the 5th day, which is alarming to me...
Or should I submit before I get my MCAT? I'm going to apply no matter what my MCAT is, but I don't know what the process is like when you submit without your MCAT...
It is a pernicious pre-med delusion that you have to apply to medical school on the very first days of the cycle. In truth you're fine up until Labor Day at least.

It's okay to send an application to a throwaway school without an MCAT score. This starts the process of verification. But to apply overall without an MCAT score is really really foolish.

You apply when you have the best possible application, even if it means skipping an application cycle. Medical schools are not going anywhere

Reactions: 2 users
This is potentially a HUGE mistake, since you might end up applying to schools at which you have no reasonable shot, but, if you are committed to doing it, sure, fire away on day one. The verification and submission process is the same regardless of whether your MCAT is available when you submit. Good luck!!

Really? That’s not a good plan.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my primary app for verification over 10 days after the first day you could get in queue and still got verified before apps were sent out. There is literally no need to rush to make sure you are verified by the first official day of the cycle (unless your dream school is Tulane). A lot of schools do not review chronologically, meaning the superstars usually get pushed ahead of you in the line anyway.

Reactions: 1 user