How important is the location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souseis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just a question about how important is the location of the pharmacy school? I've seen a lot of people say that pharmacy school is where you build a lot of your pharmacy connections, are these local connections super useful when it is time for residency matching?

I grew up in California but I am currently on the east coast for college. I applied to pharmacy schools all over the country. I do eventually want to go back to Cali because my family is there, but I do not mind going to a non-Cali pharmacy school if the school is better than my California option and can make me more competitive in getting a residency (I really want to go into clinical pharmacy).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

Just a question about how important is the location of the pharmacy school? I've seen a lot of people say that pharmacy school is where you build a lot of your pharmacy connections, are these local connections super useful when it is time for residency matching?

I grew up in California but I am currently on the east coast for college. I applied to pharmacy schools all over the country. I do eventually want to go back to Cali because my family is there, but I do not mind going to a non-Cali pharmacy school if the school is better than my California option and can make me more competitive in getting a residency (I really want to go into clinical pharmacy).

Ranking is more important than the location, although in your case, an offer from California should put prioritize similar ranking schools out of state.

Go to wherever is cheapest and decently reputable.

I would also consider other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that are abundant in California and do not require you to take out an additional $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. With pharmacy, you will most likely be forced to find a job out of state due to saturation, unless if you're willing to go to very rural areas (i.e. Crescent City, Eureka, or Redding).

Reactions: 1 user