How Important Is The Name of The School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all:

I am presently a student at UAG. My supplemental source of financial support has been cut and because of this I need to transfer to another school that has lower tuition and living cost. I have found two such schools, Universidad Iberoamericana in the Dominican Republic and the Universidad XOCHICALCO in Tijuana, Mexico. My question is this: How important is the name of the foreign school you graduate from in the long run? I have a friend who is a 3rd year resident in plastic surgery and is a foreign grad who has told me when you are a foreign grad you are put into one category: Foreign Graduate, and the name of the school doesn't matter as much as scores, who you know, ect. Any opinions or experiences?

Thanks,
IMG

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really think the name of the foreign school really matters unless you want a residency at a hospital that has a lot of doctors from St George's, in which case, being from SGU will help. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

------------------

Hi IMG...

This is off the topic but you didn't include your email in your profile.

You've mentioned a friend who is an IMG and a 3rd year resident in Plastics. Since I am also extremely interested in this field, was wondering if your friend would consider giving me some advice.

Would you be so kind as to ask him whether I may write to him with some *short* questions/advice and then email me with his address?

Its a lot to ask I realize, but you don't get if you don't ask, right?
smile.gif

TIA...