How important is upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ron Mexico

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People keep saying you have to show an upward trend, but just how important is it?

And I searched for it but I couldn't find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure it was a deciding factor for me...mine was a pretty steep upwards however

Ron Mexico said:
People keep saying you have to show an upward trend, but just how important is it?

And I searched for it but I couldn't find anything.

Depends where you start and where you end, and what damage you did at the beginning of the trend. Thus no way to quantify it. If you are close to the numbers needed, and the anchor pulling down the grade is back in freshman year, you are probably alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of it this way: I got a C+ in my Intro to Bio class and am shooting for an A in my molecular biology class. They will be able to see that even though I had problems at the starting block with a mediocre grade, I was able to pull it up further along the thread. I don't think that upward trends should be overlooked- I think it may have been a deciding factor for a lot of students, especially non-traditional/ returning students.

what about 2.5 gpa for the first 5 semesters and a 3.8 the rest of the 3 semesters. Plus a summer where I make up a few of the courses where I did poorly.

Nobody can tell you how important the upward trend is going to be for your application. Obviously, the damage has been done, and all you can do is try to get A's from here on out. You will need a superb MCAT and LORs to ensure your application is given a thorough look though--if you have a sub par overall GPA and bad MCAT/LORs, you will be rejected regardless of whatever upward trends you have.

Ron Mexico said:
what about 2.5 gpa for the first 5 semesters and a 3.8 the rest of the 3 semesters. Plus a summer where I make up a few of the courses where I did poorly.

So you end up with a 3.0-3.2 plus your summer courses? Never say never......

However, on the upward trend issue in general my impression is that people who cite the value of an upward trend tend to have one themselves. I think it is (obviously) better to be strong throughout. Anyone who disputes that is either thinking wishfully or rationalizing their own performance.

Telemachus said:

However, on the upward trend issue in general my impression is that people who cite the value of an upward trend tend to have one themselves. I think it is (obviously) better to be strong throughout. Anyone who disputes that is either thinking wishfully or rationalizing their own performance.

yeah no doubt that being strong throughout is much better, but there are some of us who messed up and did poorly and can show improvement

how important is it? It wont make or break your chances. I geuss the final thing that matters is the culm GPA. I geuss it doesnt really matter how it got there, either you did well early on and then screwed around, or vice versa. The final answer will be a combo of many factors. I would think that an upward trend is better, since as you go on you take more advanced classes and doing better in probably shows that you can handle the real material. Who knows, im a sopmhore and i kinda had a upward trend until my this last term, the trend is going down.........i dont care really. Its the final result that counts!

Ron Mexico said:

Could be problematic, but like Brett Bachelor said, it kind of depends on where you end up. If your gpa is somewhere in the 3.5 range by the time you apply to medical school and you nail the mcats, then stats-wise, you're fine. If you're below a 3.0, you're going to have to start thinking post-bac unless you really dominate the mcats, and if you're somewhere in between then I'd say apply to a lot of schools and pray for an acceptance.

Telemachus said:

My uncle has sat on boards, and for the decision collectively, it was a factor. I can't speak for all schools, but I will follow what he says because he has had a say-so for entering students.

Ron Mexico said:
what exactly does a post-bac entail?

Depends on the circumstances -- there are several versions. One variation that might work is the "informal" or open enrollment type postbac, where you would just find a place post graduation where you can retake those courses you did badly in, and take upper level courses, until your GPA is where you need it to be. The more formal postbacs usually require you not to have already taken the prereq scienes. Then there are SMPs and the like which are premed geared masters programs, which can help show a proficiency in sciences and often lead to admissions, but doesn't actually affect the undergrad cum.