nonperson

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
hi everyone--

i am sure this question was asked in a different form but i would like to know if having solid USMLE Step 2 scores will help getting more interviews if my step 1 scores are average (223)? I have good grades in med school and couple of poster presentations at national ophtho meetings... however, i am worried about getting interviews due to my not so great step 1 scores. I was wondering if I could get some advice to take or not take the step 2 by august...

thanks!

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
Unless you are sure you can score well on step 2 (i.e., greater than 240), I'd wait.
I didn't find step 2 scores to help much with screening applicants. By the time you receive an interview, the USMLE score is less of a factor at many programs.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
nonperson said:
hi everyone--

i am sure this question was asked in a different form but i would like to know if having solid USMLE Step 2 scores will help getting more interviews if my step 1 scores are average (223)? I have good grades in med school and couple of poster presentations at national ophtho meetings... however, i am worried about getting interviews due to my not so great step 1 scores. I was wondering if I could get some advice to take or not take the step 2 by august...

thanks!
I think you fit the perfect profile for someone who should try and rock step 2. If you can get free time to study, you can DEFINITELY score higher on step 2 than you did step 1. This is because both tests are graded on a curve. Many students who studied intensely for step 1, take step 2 as an afterthought (for example, I studied intensely for almost 5 weeks for step 1, but studied lazily for three and half days for step 2). So, if you do the work and study hard, your step 2 score will improve. Also, you have the option of not releasing your step 2 scores if they aren't great.

Since your USMLE step 1 score is bit lower then average for ophtho, you could benefit a lot by doing well on step 2. If you're serious about doing ophtho, I think it's worth a shot to try and do well on step 2. A much improved score could open up a lot of doors for you, and a bad score can just not be released.

SteelEyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
I also had 223 on Step 1 and got about 15 interview offers. That score might limit your interviews from the big gun programs, but step 1 is only part of your application. I ended up matching at a very well respected program. If you want to know any more, you can message me directly.