How is everyone managing interview costs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What an interesting way to derail a thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
lol im the daddy whisperer. i was a stripper at a gay club for awhile and got all my bills paid, shopping sprees, steak dinners every night. it was pretty rad. i might get back into it come application time to help with the expenses.

Haha :thumbup::laugh::claps:

I met mine at the hospital I was working at. I was 18 at the time and he was 37. He paid my tuition & fees for one semester. Got a trip to Vegas too.

I've always thought about becoming a shot boy as a side thing but never really went for it...I can't strip for ****, they'll throw money at me to get OFF the stage :yeahright:

Reactions: 1 users
What are you two doing to this thread?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the best part was, i wasn't the only pre-med who danced there :rofl:

Man....I can only imagine what it be like to dance at clubs in Miami etc and Vegas where it's like 24/7 for some and other closes at like 5 am. I would totally do it. No shame.

A friend of mine was going to stay at my apartment one night. I fell asleep and missed all his calls. His solution? Grindr! Definitely better than sleeping on the streets of San Francisco.
The story doesn't stop here.

I love you both. Let's go to med school together.

Borrow, parents, work. If you're swamped with costs because you have a ton of interviews, I don't really feel too bad for you!
Indeed, sounds like a "problem" most people would like to have.

Reactions: 1 user
"Man, my Stanford interview is only a week after Hopkins. It's gonna be so tough"

"Man, my Stanford interview is only a week after Hopkins. It's gonna be so tough"

Eh, lets cut the BS guys.... we all know pretty much everyone in this thread has way higher stats than I do and probably way better apps overall and most of you are going to get several II's from most of your schools.

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I've been sucking my parents dry for 20 years, so why stop now?

Haha in all seriousness though, I'm really really grateful that my parents are paying for all my application and traveling costs.

Reactions: 2 users
Eh, lets cut the BS guys.... we all know pretty much everyone in this thread has way higher stats than I do and probably way better apps overall and most of you are going to get several II's from most of your schools.

lol
Bro you'll be fine, don't let SDn trick you into thinking 29-30 is bad.

It's better than 8/10 test-takers.

Damn, how are you going to manage to fit the Harvard one in there as well? Your life sucks.

Damn, how are you going to manage to fit the Harvard one in there as well? Your life sucks.
I can't tell over the internet if my sarcasm was conveyed.

No sarcasm in this post.

Seriously.

I decided early on this cycle that the best way to optimize my chances while not blowing my budget and ending up homeless was to focus entirely on submitting the maximum number of secondaries, even if it meant I would not be able to attend any interviews. So far it's worked pretty well.

Well, I happened to end up having to get a new car earlier in the year and I invested in a very fuel efficient car. For interviews, I tend to drive!
And of course, I applied to schools in which I have some sort of connection to plus all of the schools in my state. Therefore, I tend to have family in which I can stay with if I am interviewing.
Plus, I took out a small loan to cover the fees of applying.

I wish I had several MD interview invites to worry about... :(

As soon as I decided to go for med school, I started saving as much as I could. Fortunately, my family let me stay with them while I completely overhauled my life in order to build a med school application from scratch in 1.5yrs. In that time, despite having to buy a car (cash buy) and a a computer, among a few other unexpected expenses, I've been able to save up ~$10k, which I intend to spend freely on applications/interviews and then I'll blow the rest travelling Latin America before school starts to improve my Spanish.
Couldn't have done it without my family, though...rent around here would have run me at least $1k/mo with a roommate, which would have basically sucked up the entirety of my savings before it existed, and that without buying the car I needed!

I only had one OOS interview, everything I drove to. I spent a lot of nights in my car sleeping.

what's that

Well I was just thinking if someone is using their car as a hotel, then what about bathroom usage in the morning of your interview.

Just curious

I only had one OOS interview, everything I drove to. I spent a lot of nights in my car sleeping.
Very admirable. Glad the cycle worked out for you with that type of determination!

Very admirable. Glad the cycle worked out for you with that type of determination!

aerospace is a genius though so I'm not surprised she ( i think it's a she?) got in.

Last edited:
This was a big reason I decided to only apply to relatively close states.

Well I was just thinking if someone is using their car as a hotel, then what about bathroom usage in the morning of your interview.

Just curious

Truck stops have showers and bathrooms. You just look a little odd coming out of a bathroom in a suit.

MSU was a four day trip, three nights were in my car. One was in 24 degree weather but I had a sleeping bag and I was at a truck stop.

Last edited:
Truck stops have showers and bathrooms. You just look a little odd coming out of a bathroom in a suit.

MSU was a four day trip, three nights were in my car. One was in 24 degree weather but I had a sleeping bag and I was at a truck stop.

I cant imagine doing that. Props to you.

Whenever I'm having a bad day, or when I'm faced with so many discrimination from bigot douche bags, I am reminded by your posts / journey and tell myself that I need to fight on and I too, can be just as strong as you! You are like SDN LGBTQ role-model to us youngin' !!

Reactions: 3 users
I cant imagine doing that. Props to you.

Thanks, but you gotta do what you gotta do. That was an interesting trip. The truck stop was not far from Hell Michigan, so I visited it when it was snowed in/frozen over. I am still milking the joke. I hit some other interesting places on the trip since they were on the way.

Whenever I'm having a bad day, or when I'm faced with so many discrimination from bigot douche bags, I am reminded by your posts / journey and tell myself that I need to fight on and I too, can be just as strong as you! You are like SDN LGBTQ role-model to us youngin' !!

I'm glad I can help!

My strategy of not getting interviews has dramatically reduced interview costs. It's not for everyone but I'd recommend it.

Reactions: 3 users
Im not... Just hoping I get accepted into a school I love before I run out of money

Taking buses, staying with friends. I interviewed in Michigan OOS recently, my travel costs were less than what I spent on a great burger and fries and a pint(s) of a Michigan microbrew.

So far I have been driving and staying with hosts. I got another credit card to use for travel and will try to pay it off before med school if I get in.

Bro you'll be fine, don't let SDn trick you into thinking 29-30 is bad.

It's better than 8/10 test-takers.
i got a 29 and MCAT thx tells me i'm in the 70th percentile :(

i got a 29 and MCAT thx tells me i'm in the 70th percentile :(
I stand corrected on the percentile. Was quoting off the top of my head.

Yet I also notice you've been accepted to medical school! Congrats! Suck it, SDN :p