You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How is everyone managing interview costs?
Started by Gandyy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
lol im the daddy whisperer. i was a stripper at a gay club for awhile and got all my bills paid, shopping sprees, steak dinners every night. it was pretty rad. i might get back into it come application time to help with the expenses.
Haha 👍


I met mine at the hospital I was working at. I was 18 at the time and he was 37. He paid my tuition & fees for one semester. Got a trip to Vegas too.
I've always thought about becoming a shot boy as a side thing but never really went for it...I can't strip for ****, they'll throw money at me to get OFF the stage
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the best part was, i wasn't the only pre-med who danced there 🤣
the best part was, i wasn't the only pre-med who danced there 🤣
Man....I can only imagine what it be like to dance at clubs in Miami etc and Vegas where it's like 24/7 for some and other closes at like 5 am. I would totally do it. No shame.
The story doesn't stop here.A friend of mine was going to stay at my apartment one night. I fell asleep and missed all his calls. His solution? Grindr! Definitely better than sleeping on the streets of San Francisco.
I love you both. Let's go to med school together.
I love you both. Let's go to med school together.
Yassss! 👍

You're in cali, though. That might be tough lol.
CNU
@genericpremedstudent all three of us moonlight as part-time dancers? I'll take the Tuesday afternoon where no one ever comes. #tuesdayafternoonstripper
6
698344
Indeed, sounds like a "problem" most people would like to have.Borrow, parents, work. If you're swamped with costs because you have a ton of interviews, I don't really feel too bad for you!
"Man, my Stanford interview is only a week after Hopkins. It's gonna be so tough"Indeed, sounds like a "problem" most people would like to have.
Indeed, sounds like a "problem" most people would like to have.
"Man, my Stanford interview is only a week after Hopkins. It's gonna be so tough"
Eh, lets cut the BS guys.... we all know pretty much everyone in this thread has way higher stats than I do and probably way better apps overall and most of you are going to get several II's from most of your schools.
lol
I doubt anyone is going to be invited for repeat interviews at any school 😛several II's from most of your schools.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bro you'll be fine, don't let SDn trick you into thinking 29-30 is bad.Eh, lets cut the BS guys.... we all know pretty much everyone in this thread has way higher stats than I do and probably way better apps overall and most of you are going to get several II's from most of your schools.
lol
It's better than 8/10 test-takers.
I'll take Sunday morning for drag brunch.@genericpremedstudent all three of us moonlight as part-time dancers? I'll take the Tuesday afternoon where no one ever comes. #tuesdayafternoonstripper
6
698344
Damn, how are you going to manage to fit the Harvard one in there as well? Your life sucks."Man, my Stanford interview is only a week after Hopkins. It's gonna be so tough"
I can't tell over the internet if my sarcasm was conveyed.Damn, how are you going to manage to fit the Harvard one in there as well? Your life sucks.
No sarcasm in this post.
Seriously.
I decided early on this cycle that the best way to optimize my chances while not blowing my budget and ending up homeless was to focus entirely on submitting the maximum number of secondaries, even if it meant I would not be able to attend any interviews. So far it's worked pretty well.
Well, I happened to end up having to get a new car earlier in the year and I invested in a very fuel efficient car. For interviews, I tend to drive!
And of course, I applied to schools in which I have some sort of connection to plus all of the schools in my state. Therefore, I tend to have family in which I can stay with if I am interviewing.
Plus, I took out a small loan to cover the fees of applying.
And of course, I applied to schools in which I have some sort of connection to plus all of the schools in my state. Therefore, I tend to have family in which I can stay with if I am interviewing.
Plus, I took out a small loan to cover the fees of applying.
Delta AMEX. I use points for hotels/flights.
I wish I had several MD interview invites to worry about... 🙁
I doubt anyone is going to be invited for repeat interviews at any school 😛
😛
Bro you'll be fine, don't let SDn trick you into thinking 29-30 is bad.
It's better than 8/10 test-takers.
I hope so!
I wish I had several MD interview invites to worry about... 🙁
Me too....
6
698344
Haha, sarcasm was definitely conveyed.I can't tell over the internet if my sarcasm was conveyed.
No sarcasm in this post.
Seriously.
As soon as I decided to go for med school, I started saving as much as I could. Fortunately, my family let me stay with them while I completely overhauled my life in order to build a med school application from scratch in 1.5yrs. In that time, despite having to buy a car (cash buy) and a a computer, among a few other unexpected expenses, I've been able to save up ~$10k, which I intend to spend freely on applications/interviews and then I'll blow the rest travelling Latin America before school starts to improve my Spanish.
Couldn't have done it without my family, though...rent around here would have run me at least $1k/mo with a roommate, which would have basically sucked up the entirety of my savings before it existed, and that without buying the car I needed!
Couldn't have done it without my family, though...rent around here would have run me at least $1k/mo with a roommate, which would have basically sucked up the entirety of my savings before it existed, and that without buying the car I needed!
I only had one OOS interview, everything I drove to. I spent a lot of nights in my car sleeping.
I only had one OOS interview, everything I drove to. I spent a lot of nights in my car sleeping.
What about showering, etc etc?
what's thatWhat about showering, etc etc?
what's that
Well I was just thinking if someone is using their car as a hotel, then what about bathroom usage in the morning of your interview.
Just curious
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Very admirable. Glad the cycle worked out for you with that type of determination!I only had one OOS interview, everything I drove to. I spent a lot of nights in my car sleeping.
Very admirable. Glad the cycle worked out for you with that type of determination!
aerospace is a genius though so I'm not surprised she ( i think it's a she?) got in.
Last edited:
aerospace is a genius though so I'm not surprised she ( i think it's a she?) got in.
I am a he. But thank you.
Well I was just thinking if someone is using their car as a hotel, then what about bathroom usage in the morning of your interview.
Just curious
Truck stops have showers and bathrooms. You just look a little odd coming out of a bathroom in a suit.
MSU was a four day trip, three nights were in my car. One was in 24 degree weather but I had a sleeping bag and I was at a truck stop.
Last edited:
Very admirable. Glad the cycle worked out for you with that type of determination!
Thank you.
Truck stops have showers and bathrooms. You just look a little odd coming out of a bathroom in a suit.
MSU was a four day trip, three nights were in my car. One was in 24 degree weather but I had a sleeping bag and I was at a truck stop.
I cant imagine doing that. Props to you.
Truck stops have showers and bathrooms. You just look a little odd coming out of a bathroom in a suit.
MSU was a four day trip, three nights were in my car. One was in 24 degree weather but I had a sleeping bag and I was at a truck stop.
Whenever I'm having a bad day, or when I'm faced with so many discrimination from bigot douche bags, I am reminded by your posts / journey and tell myself that I need to fight on and I too, can be just as strong as you! You are like SDN LGBTQ role-model to us youngin' !!
I cant imagine doing that. Props to you.
Thanks, but you gotta do what you gotta do. That was an interesting trip. The truck stop was not far from Hell Michigan, so I visited it when it was snowed in/frozen over. I am still milking the joke. I hit some other interesting places on the trip since they were on the way.
Whenever I'm having a bad day, or when I'm faced with so many discrimination from bigot douche bags, I am reminded by your posts / journey and tell myself that I need to fight on and I too, can be just as strong as you! You are like SDN LGBTQ role-model to us youngin' !!
I'm glad I can help!
what is airbnb?
people rent out extra rooms/ couches for cheaper (or sometimes not) than hotels
My strategy of not getting interviews has dramatically reduced interview costs. It's not for everyone but I'd recommend it.
What interview costs?
Taking buses, staying with friends. I interviewed in Michigan OOS recently, my travel costs were less than what I spent on a great burger and fries and a pint(s) of a Michigan microbrew.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far I have been driving and staying with hosts. I got another credit card to use for travel and will try to pay it off before med school if I get in.
i got a 29 and MCAT thx tells me i'm in the 70th percentile 🙁Bro you'll be fine, don't let SDn trick you into thinking 29-30 is bad.
It's better than 8/10 test-takers.
I stand corrected on the percentile. Was quoting off the top of my head.i got a 29 and MCAT thx tells me i'm in the 70th percentile 🙁
Yet I also notice you've been accepted to medical school! Congrats! Suck it, SDN 😛