How is everyone managing interview costs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gandyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The average plane ticket costs 300-400 dollars for a domestic flight in the USA. Add to that car rentals and hotel stays, plus in my case having to take off of work every time I get one.

Currently I have just a few interview invites this season, but I'm starting to realize how ridiculously high these costs are going to get.

Secondaries have already costed what feels like a fortune.

How are you guys managing/going to manage all these costs?

Members don't see this ad.

Well right now what seems to be saving the most money for me is not getting any interview invites at all. ;)

Reactions: 48 users
I'm making up to $1,000 per day working from home. Saw it in a comment on facebook

Seriously though I have no idea yet

Reactions: 37 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well right now what seems to be saving the most money for me is not getting any interview invites at all. ;)

Oh I personally have gotten no II from MD schools yet either. There just happens to be a few DO schools that send out VERY EARLY II's that I got them from.

I applied to both MD and DO.

The average plane ticket costs 300-400 dollars for a domestic flight in the USA. Add to that car rentals and hotel stays, plus in my case having to take off of work every time I get one.

Currently I have just a few interview invites this season, but I'm starting to realize how ridiculously high these costs are going to get.

I have delta credit card and have lots of miles racked up. Don't need a car at most places (take shuttles/uber) . If cash is tight a lot of schools offer student hosting at their apartments. Lots of places are within bus distance too. Be creative as not everything is cross country where the only option is plane.

Once you get your first acceptance, you can be more picky about attending interviews at less desirable locations. We should all be so lucky to have choices! I budgeted about 5k for this whole process.

Reactions: 1 users
I have delta credit card and have lots of miles racked up. Don't need a car at most places (take shuttles/uber) . If cash is tight a lot of schools offer student hosting at their apartments. Lots of places are within bus distance too. Be creative as not everything is cross country where the only option is plane.

Once you get your first acceptance, you can be more picky about attending interviews at less desirable locations. We should all be so lucky to have choices! I budgeted about 5k for this whole process.

O boy, this is where those mile credit cards come in handy. Yea I guess, I'll have to look into shuttles and mass transportation.

O boy, this is where those mile credit cards come in handy. Yea I guess, I'll have to look into shuttles and mass transportation.
Yes I applied to 25 schools so 1k for primary another 2k for secondary s. Too bad my delta card is American express and not a visa or I would be getting more points.

I only applied to schools in my state and general area. I got 3 II, all of them driving distance. The farthest I had to drive was 1.5 hours, and I did not incur any hotel or flight costs. That is one way to manage interview costs.

Reactions: 1 user
I only applied to schools in my state and general area. I got 3 II, all of them driving distance. The farthest I had to drive was 1.5 hours, and I did not incur any hotel or flight costs. That is one way to manage interview costs.

Wow thats good for you, but thats not representative of what most applicants have to go through.

I'm guessing you got into LUCOM or Loma Linda based upon on your avatar and insignia?

You just gotta save up money. Its a necessary expense, not much you can do about it. I guess if you have lots of friends around the country you could try to crash with them when you fly out for interviews (also airbnb maybe?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow thats good for you, but thats not representative of what most applicants have to go through.

I'm guessing you got into LUCOM or Loma Linda based upon on your avatar and insignia?

One of those;)

You just gotta save up money. Its a necessary expense, not much you can do about it. I guess if you have lots of friends around the country you could try to crash with them when you fly out for interviews (also airbnb maybe?).

what is airbnb?

One of those;)

Still, at least apply to schools near you and only apply to far away schools if you have a fairly good chance at getting in. I only applied to 8 schools, but got 3 II and 2 acceptances. One of my friends from IL applied to 15 schools and only got 2 II and 2 acceptances. Another friend from CA applied to 20+ schools and only got 1 MD acceptance. I think a lot of people could contain their costs if they only applied and interviewed at schools they had a really good shot at getting into and one they wanted to go to. I decided not to apply to far out medical schools simply because I had no interest in any of them and I felt like I was a good fit for my local schools.

To acknowledge what Gandy741 said, I agree that this may not work for everyone, but I still feel like a lot of people could contain II costs by making themselves attractive candidates for their local schools and only going out-of-state for II if you are a really good fit for that school.

Borrow, parents, work. If you're swamped with costs because you have a ton of interviews, I don't really feel too bad for you!

Reactions: 3 users
I stopped eating and drinking out and made some other changes to my budget. I'm also non-trad, so my salary is able to cover everything (thankfully).

it lets you rent peoples apartments and homes for cheaper than you could often get hotel rooms for

My wife and I host on Airbnb. We rent one of our spare bedrooms with ensuite bath. We're in a major southern city with booku tourism, so I try to price it around 40-50% of the going hotel rate - anywhere from $59 to $145 per night.

Airbnb will be my go to when I apply next year. Find a friend that already uses it and you'll get like $100 credit. They'll get a kick back for referring you.

Not suggesting anything but I heard hanging out around street corners can be very profitable.

Selling my kidneys or my body parts will help cover my interview costs lol. But seriously, the application process is expensive and time consuming.

I guess I have to save up money.

To those who havent gotten II's yet... I've seen a lot of the people in this thread posting multiple times. Considering your guys ridiculous stats.... I'd say most of you will probably get IIs lol.

"Can I afford to travel to an interview here?" is a question that, unfortunately, should be considered when building a school list. Hopefully you'll get an early acceptance and won't have to travel to very many.

I saved as much sick/vacation time as possible at my job, and plan to drive to any interview within 6 hours (most of my schools are within this distance). Also hitting up friends/relatives already at those schools or living in those cities so I don't have to pay for hotels.

As previously mentioned, if you get an acceptance early in the cycle you can be picky!

I will be flying a la Harry Potter.

Seriously though...my bank account is hemorrhaging.

I will most likely be driving to all my interviews, unless I get an II to a CA school. In that case, a friend has offered me some airline miles.

Look at a southwest card and southwest airlines in general. Getting their visa card allowed me to earn 25,000 miles relatively quickly which should cover 2.5 flights. And a lot of flights can be booked on their from 75-150 each way, now if you don't live in the midwest its not as feasible but still can be a good deal depending where you fly.

Look at a southwest card and southwest airlines in general. Getting their visa card allowed me to earn 25,000 miles relatively quickly which should cover 2.5 flights. And a lot of flights can be booked on their from 75-150 each way, now if you don't live in the midwest its not as feasible but still can be a good deal depending where you fly.

Just stop it, Julio. You're getting PAID next year.

If you're really interested in going the extra mile, you can look for Travel Rewards credit cards that offer signup bonuses. There are airline specific and non-airline specific ones. For example, Southwest offers a card that gives you 50,000 travel points ($500) if you spend like $1000 in the first 3 months. Every bit is a little bit. Just be careful of the ones that have high fees. Also, it's not good for your credit score to be getting these cards and cancelling them a year later, so just keep in mind what you're doing when you sign up for something.

Also, skiplagged is good for cheaper tickets if you're feeling friskier ;)

Idk I had to be strategic with which schools to apply to...I only ended up doing 13 for that reason and it looks like I'm not going to complete my CA secondary. Thankfully I can drive to the schools I am most likely going to get II's from, which helps costs a ton.

my friends told me about this really cool app you can get called Grindr that helps you meet guys you can stay with

Reactions: 11 users
I recommend getting a Southwest credit card or something similar. After spending the first $3,000, they give you like 50,000 points to play with...

my friends told me about this really cool app you can get called Grindr that helps you meet guys you can stay with

I don't know why I LOL'ed so hard at this.:hilarious:

I plan on applying next year. But what I've been doing is saving up money that I received from tax returns since freshman year of college. So I have enough in my savings to cover my entire application process.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend getting a Southwest credit card or something similar. After spending the first $3,000, they give you like 50,000 points to play with...
i have this one.
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/bankamericard-travel-rewards-credit-card.go
every dollar you spend on airline,hotel, car rentals is worth 3 points. any other purchase is worth 1.5 points

a pro for it is that there is no annual fee

a con is that to get the 3 points for $ spent on airline booking deal, you have to book flights on bank of america's travel site.

a point is basically a cent when you redeem them, but hey it's better than nothing. try to use credit cards to pay for everything (bills,rent). the management for my new place allows me to pay for rent using credit card. so if my roommates venmo me their share and i pay for the whole month ($2400/month) with my card...
in a year, 12 months x $2400=28800
$.015 x 28800 = 432

at least one flight?
edit: just saw there's a $37 charge for paying rent with card lol damn it. that would negate the 432.

Last edited:
I don't know why I LOL'ed so hard at this.:hilarious:

I plan on applying next year. But what I've been doing is saving up money that I received from tax returns since freshman year of college. So I have enough in my savings to cover my entire application process.
what if you have like 20 interviews

A friend of mine was going to stay at my apartment one night. I fell asleep and missed all his calls. His solution? Grindr! Definitely better than sleeping on the streets of San Francisco.

A friend of mine was going to stay at my apartment one night. I fell asleep and missed all his calls. His solution? Grindr! Definitely better than sleeping on the streets of San Francisco.

The men on Grindr are so creepy...:sick::mask:

Reactions: 1 users
other option - meet a daddy on Grindr and have him take care of all your interview expenses.

Um, do you like, low key know me IRL?

I did had some sort of an arrangement like that in the past with an older gent. But things ended quickly because he wanted me to be physically intimate and I just can't see myself doing that...:sorry:
It felt good to be pampered, and treated to the finer things in life but when push comes to shove, I just couldn't do it. I was starting to feel guilty.

So sorry OP, I completely hijack your thread haha.

Um, do you like, low key know me IRL?

I did had some sort of an arrangement like that in the past with an older gent. But things ended quickly because he wanted me to be physically intimate and I just can't see myself doing that...:sorry:
It felt good to be pampered, and treated to the finer things in life but when push comes to shove, I just couldn't do it. I was starting to feel guilty.

So sorry OP, I completely hijack your thread haha.

lol im the daddy whisperer. i was a stripper at a gay club for awhile and got all my bills paid, shopping sprees, steak dinners every night. it was pretty rad. i might get back into it come application time to help with the expenses.